Solved

Tag manager GA 4

Userlevel 2

Hey community, 

We are trying to better track conversion on our website. We are currently use Google analytics GA 4 and i did the setup with this doc: https://mews-systems.gitbook.io/booking-engine-guide/booking-engine-widget/integrations/google-tag-manager but it does not really work. 

Did anyone connect Tag with Mews booking engine and GA4 succesfully? 

Would super nice to understand what i need to do differently. 

Best 
Hendrik

icon

Best answer by Sarah.Masterton-Brown 13 June 2023, 15:11

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

OMG - this is something I have been working on for months with no luck!

For a all it’s tech giantness; google back-end products are very difficult to work with!

I am very interested in this topic.  If there was a video and/or a workshop that would be great!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Hendrik Renken have you had any luck with this?

We have not been able to get it to work either.

I would like to track the pipeline from an Ad → Reservation.

Thanks
Ethan

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hey @Hendrik Renken  and @Ethros sorry to hear you’re stuck on this one. I feel your frustration as I’ve had to go something similar recently and got a little tangled! 

Have you seen this article? It was updated only a few weeks ago according to GA4 changes and looks to have more detail than the gitbook article you reference. 
Let me know how you get on. 🤞

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi Sarah!

Great! I finally have some time to follow the article.

I think I've set it up for one Booking Engine.

A quick question: Do I need to repeat the entire process for each Booking Engine we have?

Thanks!

Hi @Ethros , this is Milan from the Mews Connectivity team. You can use the same Google tag manager ID for multiple Mews Booking Engines and then in GA4 setup use the hotelName data layer variable to filter which property are the data coming from.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi all,

Is anyone able to get the e-commerce tag to work (sales)?

For some reason the tag is not returning any data…

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Are you talking about the Monetization section of GA?

In that - I get some data → Session Start and Revenue, but not the additional Funnel Steps.

What I think needs to happen is to map the Funnel Steps to the Tags that MEWS uses, but I cannot see how to do that.

Any help from anyone smarter much appreciated!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Ethros,

We have the exact same issue.
All sessions and and up abandoned in the first step…
Bookings are coming in, but no further data…

I’ve added all trigger and maps that mews provided, but sill no change.

Userlevel 5
Badge

😥 ugh → there must be a solution, and that we, probably the smallest hotel on the platform, are not smart enough to figure out! LOL!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Maybe @Mick can help us out?

Over 60%+ of our online revenue is being tracked to the Direct channel in GA4 which is very different from what we saw using Universal tracking. 😪 Also, under the Pages/Screens reporting, we’re getting 70%+ of our bookings tracked to /confirmation and /distributor/c496d99e-ef2a-4867-ab43-aef200f5b9c3 URLs which is impacting how we’re able to evaluate the effectiveness of our website pages. Has anyone had any luck getting these issues sorted out? I’ve confirmed our tracking is setup correctly per the updated article mentioned above. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@MatthiasH @josephhotelvienna @Mick 

Hey everyone!
Has anyone managed to solve this problem yet? We're still not achieving satisfactory results, and I've dedicated around 40 hours of my time trying to figure it out on my own, but unfortunately, I haven't been successful!

I'm currently in search of a freelancer who can assist us in setting this up. While I can find individuals skilled in using Google, I specifically need someone who is also knowledgeable in MEWS. Do any of you happen to know someone?

Thank you!
E

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @Ethros!

sorry for the delay in our response, the Christmas break slowed us down a bit, plus this topic is really not the easiest 😉

We just had an internal talk and you will be contacted soon by someone from product/tech.  📩

Quick heads-up: If you hit a roadblock with a tough question, don't hesitate to contact support. The community is great for best practice and less technical questions, but if things are not moving and an issue is blocking your smooth operations, support is your go-to.

I hope your challenge will be sorted out soon! 🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Ethros hey! So sorry it’s taken us a while to get back to you on this!

I’ve read through the thread but I think I need a little more information from you to understand exactly what’s going on here and support you best. Please use this link to book some time with me and we can chat in more detail about the issues you’re facing and look into resolving them.

Thanks & again sorry for the delay!

Charlie

I am here to follow the topic because we are experiencing the same issue.

I filed a support request with an indentifier 00285388 regarding this topic.
In a nutshell, I have set up everything in GTM and GA according to the updated guideline, and I see all the traffic and hits registering properly in Google Assistant. However, the data does not get transmitted into Analytics.
The home page of our hotel uses the same GTM-tag and sends data properly, and I have successfully done this configuration to other projects as well. That’s why I think it might be something Mews related.

Looking forward to hearing from any solutions for this topic and/or very willing to look at our setup with a Mews tech person!

-Teemu