Skip to main content

Whats a sharer reservation?

First of all i would like to define what a sharer reservation is because i am not sure that this is the the usual term for this šŸ§.

A sharer reservation is any reservation were one or more persons in a room has a different arrival or departure from any other person in that room. For example another person in that room arrives a day later or departs earlier.

So in short the amount of people in an room differs throughout the reservation:

Ā 

Whats the Problem?

The handling of such cases in mews is difficult because it is quite confusing and time-consuming to set up šŸ˜Ÿ. The current best practice seems to be to divide all parts of a sharer reservation into individual reservations and create them separately āœ‚ļø.

In this case, price rules and other logic do not work at all or are incorrect, which is why you should calculate all parts of these reservations manually or at least correct them šŸ¤Æ.

But not only is this difficult for us in administration, but it is also very complicated and frustrating for the guests, as the entire communication is compromised. The guestsĀ see the individual reservation parts in the portal and also receive the corresponding mailings for all parts (check-in, check-out...) šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«.

In the example above the booker would get an checkout mail on every day of his stay and the reservation would need to check him out and in again on every day ā€¦ Also he would get multiple other emails multiple times šŸ™ˆ.

Ā 

This seems very unlikely

It isnt! I know the example above is unrealistic,Ā but i created that just for showing the problem. Situations similar to this (mostly longer stays) happens regularly for us and probably for many others. At least for holiday hotels. When sharer reservations with bigger groups happen that gets pretty complex really fast šŸ˜….

Ā 

An honorable mention

Also i would also consider room changes in this topic because the some of the handling and therefore the problems are the same in such scenarios:

Ā 

After the room change the reservation has two parts and communication is triggered again.

Ā 

Dude youā€™re just silly!

Maybe weĀ just donā€™t know how to handle such situations. If that is the case let me know. If it isnā€™t ā€¦ let me know too šŸ˜œ.

I would love to hear if you guys have problems with this too and how you handle that. Do you have any suggestions how this could be improved by mews?

Hello @jones.eth!

thank you for starting this topic!Ā šŸŒŸ

I am tagging some of our active community members, and try to kick start the discussion!Ā šŸ’”

@MickĀ @mauritsbotsĀ @j.spiessĀ @smehiaĀ @SanneĀ @barb00saĀ @Leif PenningĀ @lena.luettgauĀ interested in your input!Ā 

Hello @jones.ethĀ 

Ā 

Well same problem here as it is not possible to set the person number per night (only per reservation)

Ā 

What you can also do is split the reservation when the number of persons and thereforeĀ the rate is supposed to change.

Ā 

https://help.mews.com/s/article/split-a-reservation?language=en_US

Ā 

Remarks:

=> You can only split from an already checked-in reservation.

=> It will create a second reservation and a third,Ā and a fourth and so onĀ inside the same group and you will have to check-out the first to be able to check-in the second (problem will be the same as you described)

=> It will also split the billing of the reservation so some moves might be mandatory to have a correct final bill

Ā 

NB: We also use this technique to make room moves

Ā 

Maybe Mews @MarketaOupiĀ  is developping something that we are not aware of to fix this problemĀ šŸ˜‰šŸ¤ž

Ā 

Sorry I couldnā€™t be more helpful

Ā 

Have a nice day

Ā 

See ya around

Ā 

Stephane

@smehiaĀ we do the splitting too but as far as iā€™m aware of there is no real difference than creating multiple reservations and group them aside from some calculations.

Weā€™ve stumbled over the fact that splitting is only available for checked in reservations wich i really donā€™t know why that is the case šŸ§. @MarketaOupiĀ would be great to know if there is any reason why thats not available at any time.

If it would be available alwaysĀ it would at least be simpler to create those reservation parts iā€™ve mentioned šŸ™ˆ.

@jones.ethĀ Agree 100%

Hello!

The splitting works for us most of the time, but we use it mostly in case of room moves. However, a real room move feature would be nice ;-)

Regarding ā€žSharingā€œ: for me a sharer reservation is when two or more people stay in the same room for the same period, but would like to share their bill, so that each guest can get a separate invoice, sharing the cost equally or with a fixed absolute or percentage split. For this there is no function I am aware ofā€¦ right?

regards,

jp.

Ā 

Hello!

The splitting works for us most of the time, but we use it mostly in case of room moves. However, a real room move feature would be nice ;-)

Regarding ā€žSharingā€œ: for me a sharer reservation is when two or more people stay in the same room for the same period, but would like to share their bill, so that each guest can get a separate invoice, sharing the cost equally or with a fixed absolute or percentage split. For this there is no function I am aware ofā€¦ right?

regards,

jp.

Ā 

Iā€™ve just created a topic about bill splitting a few days ago šŸ˜„.

Seems like we have different definitions what a sharer is. That is exactly why i just defined that because i already thought that this term may be a bit unclear šŸ˜‰.

How do you handle situations where persons in the sameĀ room have different arrival/departure dates?

hi @jones.ethĀ you have made an excellent point, and a great explainer. I agree that this is something MEWS could be developing, however i also believe that @j.spiessĀ his ā€˜split billā€™ idea is a more prioritized option, as that would already made the sharer ā€œproblemā€ resolved to a certain extent?

Ā 

We are also splitting rerservations and hasseling.. but in terms of numbers, perhaps it happens once a month to 1 reservation.. so it is not pressing for now. the option to split is more requested for those stays were the boss pays for dinner, but not for alcoholic drinks etc.Ā 

Hey @mauritsbotsĀ i think the ā€œsharerā€ terminology is the problem here šŸ˜Œ.

I agree that bill splitting is the most important missing feature in mews and i already made a post about that but thats not what iā€™ve meant above. Maybe ā€œvariable room occupancyā€ describes it better i donā€™t know ā€¦ šŸ˜…

Hi All, below is a proposal or better said a thought how it could possibly be doneĀ 

To address the issue you described with handling sharer reservations in Mews, let's explore potential solutions for both the administrative and guest experience problems.Ā 

### Administrative Solution
1. **Unified Reservation System**: Implement a system in Mews where a reservation can have multiple arrival and departure dates for different guests within the same room. This will eliminate the need to create separate reservations for each guest.

2. **Price Rules and Logic**: Modify the price calculation logic to accommodate multiple arrivals and departures within a single reservation. This will ensure that the price rules are applied correctly without the need for manual adjustments.

3. **Room & Rate Adjustments**: Allow partial room changes and rate adjustments within a single reservation. This applies to situations where guests might change rooms during their stay or where group rates might apply differently to different parts of their stay.

### Guest Communication Solution
1. **Consolidated Communication**: Design a communication system that consolidates the check-in, check-out, and other notifications into a single, coherent message that reflects the entire stay, including different arrival and departure dates for sharers.

2. **Single View in Guest Portal**: Ensure the guest portal provides a unified view of the entire reservation, showing all sharers and their respective arrival and departure dates. This avoids confusion caused by multiple individual reservations.

### Proposed Features in Mews
1. **Sharer Management Interface**: Develop an intuitive interface for managing sharer reservations, allowing easy adjustments to individual arrival/departure dates without splitting the reservation.

2. **Automated Messaging**: Implement logic to automatically generate personalized messages that cater to the complexities of sharer reservations, reducing the need for manual intervention.

3. **Feedback Loop**: Set up a system where administrators can easily provide feedback to Mews regarding issues they face, making it easier for Mews to make necessary adjustments. ( already operationele)Ā 

Gr RobinĀ 

Ā 

Hello @barb00saĀ !

wow, that sounds very thoughtful and complexā€¦

in our previous PMS (Oracle) it was ā€žsimplyā€œ solved by having the reservation as a container for the daily data elements. So a reservation has its common data like source, arrival, departure, ā€¦ and consists of a daily record for all elements that could potentially vary over the days, like price, room, roomtype, number of persons, packages, services, rate type,ā€¦

so, to get this feature developers first have to make a concept of what elements may change over a stay, and which need to remain the sameā€¦ I would suggest to have a look at other PMS, like Suite8 by Oracle that had this solved very nicelyā€¦ 😉 or make a survey what hotels potentially need to have variable over the days of a single reservation. To get this right is definitely no small feat, but would add value to the product, especially in comparison with other more mature PMS.

regard,

jP.

@barb00saĀ thats a very nice summary what need to be tackled for this problem and shows how massive the scope of that gonna be. Thank you for that! šŸ’Ŗ

I think from an technical standpoint the per day handling would be the most challenging for Mews but probably the most versatile for the users. Very intriguing isĀ the consolidated communication šŸ™‚.

One solution may be to allow connecting reservations. With that all connected reservations would be grouped, bundled in communication, highlighted in some way and checked out and in automatically. For a reservation to connect the departure of one have to be the same than the arrival of the other (probably) šŸ¤”.

On top of that you could allow reservation splitting anytime and add an checkbox ā€œconnect reservationsā€. To make it easier to create these reservation parts.

Hi all,

I support the explanation of j.spiess.
To do this, Mews would have to rework the reservation concept, but this makes it very easy to do all the necessary changes per day, whether rate, price code, room number, source, whatever.Ā 
And I think following the old PMS is a logical solution. You don't always have to invent the wheel again if it is already spinning. Sometimes it seem, Mews likes to be different, for the sake ofĀ being different. That is not necessary.

But that doesn't cover the sharer issue if there are two guestsĀ who need individual bills.Ā For this we either need splitting, or better, we should be able to put two reservations within a group in the same room, with different routing to he invoices.

And to be sure I don't want to say that splitting isn't necessarily important and should be possible as soon as possible. ;-)

Best wishes

Leif

How do you handle situations where persons in the sameĀ room have different arrival/departure dates?

Ā 

Well, we donā€™t see this very often, but usually itā€™s when an additional guest joins 1 or 2 days later than the main guestsā€¦ in that case we created a product ā€žadditional guestā€œ that we add to the reservation manually for the days the guests stays. That takes care of the pricing, but obviously not the occupancy statisticsā€¦ :-(

regards,

JP.

@j.spiessĀ no ā€œKurtaxeā€ in austria šŸ˜ƒ? Occupancy seems to be a big factor for that šŸ¤” ā€¦

@j.spiessĀ no ā€œKurtaxeā€ in austria šŸ˜ƒ? Occupancy seems to be a big factor for that šŸ¤” ā€¦

Yeah, right, but not in Vienna - city tax is based on theĀ rate only with a certain factor/percentage applicable. Occupancy doesnā€™t matter, if rate is correct.

also, manually adding a city tax / kurtaxe would be possible, if necessary - but I agree, if that happens more than a handful of times itā€™s not feasible to handle it manuallyā€¦

regards,

JP.

Hello everyone!Ā 

Thank you for this interesting conversation, I have started an internal conversation around this topic, but this is a topic spreading to different teams, so it takes a bit of time get all the info.Ā 

Thank you and weĀ“ll come back to you!Ā 

Ā 

Hi all! Iā€™m a bit late to the party, but better lateā€¦. ;-)Ā 

Great to see that this topic is raised here, it is something our hotels are struggling with everyday; both splitting bills between sharers but also having reservations with various rates and numbers of persons per day. This happens on a daily basis. For now, we have the internal rule that we always book the maximum number of persons and cancel per-persoin items when needed. The online guest journey is totally disrupted with a stay like this; having various splitted reservations while it is actually 1 stay.Ā 

During weekdays, more than half of our business are conference groups; attendees that book a shoulder night now all have separate reservations, same goes for bringing along a partner that pays for his/her own breakfast, city tax etc. They way @jones.ethĀ is thinking could already be a big step ahead while developing a more complete solution for this. Curious to see where this will lead!Ā 

Hello everyone!Ā 

I am bringing some summary from the conversations we had internally:Ā 

• Easier Sharer Reservations: Automating handling of reservations where guests have different arrival/departure dates to avoid splitting them -Ā it is not our immediate roadmap untilĀ end of the year, but we do indeed to recognize it as a problem that needs to be solved
  • Better Communication: Stop sending multiple check-in/check-out emails to guests - goes hand in hand with the above point - now properties are indeed splitting reservations (due to different number of Pax etc.) - so the system is sending multiple mails correctly. Once the above point is solved, this one follows
  • Simplify Room Changes: Make it easier to manage room changes without creating multiple -Ā Yes actively discussing this topic - it needs rate mixing which is rather complicated, so will still take some time.

I just wanted to add that our product team is aware of this thread and all the suggestions and ideas that you shared, which help us a lot to figure out the next steps! Thank you!Ā 

@MarketaOupiĀ thats great to hear šŸ™Œ. Maybe as quality of life improvement the production team could enable the ā€œreservation splitā€-functionality for all reservations or is there any reason that this is only available for cehcked inĀ in reservations šŸ˜Š?

That would ease handling with such reservations and it seems not to complicated to change šŸ˜‰.

@MarketaOupiĀ thats great to hear šŸ™Œ. Maybe as quality of life improvement the production team could enable the ā€œreservation splitā€-functionality for all reservations or is there any reason that this is only available for cehcked inĀ in reservations šŸ˜Š?

That would ease handling with such reservations and it seems not to complicated to change šŸ˜‰.

Hello @jones.ethĀ -Ā the problem is that such reservations would get two confirmation numbers, essentially making online-check-in and kiosk apps unusable.Ā šŸ˜„

@MarketaOupiĀ yeah ā€¦ iĀ think it doesn't matter whether this happens with the split functionalityĀ or we create the reservations separately... there have to be twoĀ reservations, since this is the only way mews can handle such situationsĀ šŸ˜„.

That this is not good is the whole reason of my post here šŸ˜‰. There is no reasonĀ to block that, the problem with multiple reservations gonna exists anyway ā€¦ it just makes it harder for us.