How to manage staff shortages in Hotels

• 5 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are currently struggling in many countries with the fact that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find suitable personnel. We have been dealing with this issue for some time now, which is why we also rely on MEWS. Our focus is on the following points:
- Modern tools make the workplace more attractive. This gives us a competitive advantage also for younger generations.
- Thanks to interfaces and a high user experience, we can reduce our routine work such as entering reservations, creating accounting reports, marketing, etc. by up to 60%.
- We increasingly deploy staff in different departments at the same time and follow a holocratic approach.

What is your experience with the staff shortage? And what measures are you taking in hoteltech to counteract it? Do you have best practices around MEWS?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’d imagine most would have input on this @Raphael Simcic  
@BertSerry  @Mariusz Siwkowski  @Mick  how are you all coping with restricted staff numbers if at all? 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

...and if you haven’t already, we have a report on managing staff shortages.
This takes you through how to create automation and efficiencies in your daily operations such as using a chatbot, role sharing, self-check-in kiosks.
There is an interesting short case study included too from Koncept Hotels in Germany where they overhauled their reporting systems and stripped out manual reports and audits.
Download the report here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Sarah.Masterton-Brown @Raphael Simcic 

We’ve been fortunate to have held onto a good number of key roles & had a strong base to develop internally. It’s a very common theme across Australia, tour operators. bars, restaurants, hotels, farms are all struggling to find good employers, as a travel dominated workforce i think as time goes on it will get easier. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

As a seasonal business, we have to find quite a few people every summer. 

An applicant tracking system really helps us. I think our application process is a good experience for applicants and people appreciate that. 

We use recruitee.com, but there are lots of systems out there.