Tutorial

Simplify Your Reservation Imports in Mews: A Step-by-Step Guide

• 21 September 2023
  • 7 replies
Simplify Your Reservation Imports in Mews: A Step-by-Step Guide
Userlevel 2

​Introduction: Streamlining Reservation Imports 🌟

Importing future reservations into Mews can be intimidating, especially for newcomers. Fear not, for we are here to guide you through the process step by step. This comprehensive guide offers clear and concise advice, making reservation imports a breeze, even for beginners. 🤓

Step 1: Starting with a Clean Slate

• Access your property's Settings.
  • In the upper-right corner, click the user icon next to the question mark.
  • Find and click "Download," then select "Download empty template.”

This empty reservation template is now ready for your data.

Step 2: Prioritize Essential Information

Pay attention to mandatory fields marked with asterisks:

• Enter at least the guest's last name.
  • Include their email address whenever possible.

Did you know that hovering over column names reveals useful tips for data input? 

For instance, the "Title" field is optional, but if you choose to fill it, stick to "Mister," "Miss," or "Misses." The "sex" field will be populated accordingly.

Step 3: Special Requests - Attention to Detail

• Include any special guest requests in the Internal Guest Notes column, keeping them concise and clear.

Step 4: Ensure Correct Date Formatting

Mews prefers dates in the format dd/mm/yyyy. To align your dates, follow these steps using Excel:

• Create a new column next to your date column.
  • Use the formula: TEXT(S2,"dd/mm/yyyy").
  • Copy the new column's values into the original date column (ensure it's in text format and not formula-based).
  • Verify that your cells show "Text" format in Excel.

Note: Date formats may vary based on regional settings. Check here.

Step 5: Guest Count Management

• Specify the number of guests staying in the room. Remember, the guest count should not exceed the room's maximum occupancy.
  • You can enter different age categories with the respective number of guests. Remember, Mews counts adults and children together. 

Step 6: Basic Info - Setting the Scene

• Consider having a separate rate for imported reservations, especially if manually settling payments. After importing, revert to automatic settlement, retaining manual settlement only for imported reservations.

Step 7: Beds (For Hostels) - Keeping It Simple

For bed reservations:

• Each bed reservation should have its own line with a guest count of 1.
  • For guests with multiple beds reserved, create separate lines for each bed with a guest count of 1.

Step 8: Rooms - One Room, One Line

When dealing with room reservations:

• Each room reservation should occupy one line.
  • Ensure the guest count matches your data from the previous system.
  • Avoid exceeding the room's capacity to prevent import errors.

Step 9: Pricing - Managing Costs

Effectively handle pricing:

• The "Total Price" column represents the entire stay's cost per room/bed.
  • Use a dot (.) as the decimal separator in Excel.
  • If you previously had multiple beds on one line in your export, split the price accordingly.

Step 10: Included Products - What's Included Matters

Understand how included products work:

• Included Products' prices will be subtracted from the Total Price upon import.
  • Pay attention to product rules, as they can impact price behavior.

Step 11: Currency - Specify the Correct Code

Ensure precision with currency:

Step 12: Confirmation Code - A Secret Note

• Usually, the confirmation code is carried over from your previous system. Note that you can't search by confirmation code; it's displayed in the reservation notes.

Step 13: Group Code - Simplifying Group Bookings

Demystify group codes:

• Use the same email address within your import file to group reservations.
  • For group bookings, employ the Group code (one word, no spaces). It's handy for Group Bookings or GDS numbers and is searchable in Mews.

Step 14: Release Date - Optional Information

• Complete the release date field for optional bookings only.

Step 15: Channel Manager Integration - Connecting the Dots

For Channel Manager integration:

• Fill in Channel Manager Number, Channel Number, and Channel Manager Integration ID for a successful import. Ensure they are correctly linked.

Step 16: Double-Check Your Imports

Before the grand finale:

• Review your bookings for accuracy.
  • If necessary, merge profiles or make room assignments manually.

Step 17: Importing Your Reservations - Finally!

Now that your reservation import file is ready:

• Go to your property's settings.
  • In the upper-right corner, click the user icon and select "Upload."
  • Choose your prepared import file.
  • Click "Import Customers" to complete the process.

Step 18: Tips & Tricks - Expert Advice

Here are some tips from experienced users:

• Test in your demo environment with a small batch of reservations for verification.
  • If you have over 1000 reservations, break them into batches of 500 for smoother importing.
  • Consider using OTA or Channel Manager connections for an easier experience.

Step 19: Wrapping Up - Balancing the Books

After importing reservations, finalize the process:

• Handle prepayments using the deposit functionality if VAT has been declared. If not, post external payments, utilizing cross-settlement with specific accounting categories.

With this simplified guide, you can master reservation imports in Mews. Each step is thoughtfully outlined to ensure a smooth journey into the world of reservation management. Embrace the process, and may your experience with Mews be straightforward and successful. Happy importing! 🚀📅

If you want to read more, feel free to dive into our help documentation: 👈

7 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey @Darya,

Great article. Thanks for the tips! I will defiantly keep this at hand for my next migration. 

Do you have an detailed article or advise on step 15 which exact fields these are?

I would like to test this next time for my Siteminder connection. Do I understand correctly that if this is used, channel manager updates will work? 

My reminders I learned this week:

For the Booking.com connection is to test 1 reservation download first since products behave diffrent for example on the import vs direct connect download.

And ensure you have a clean finance cut off from your old to the new system e.g. for your in house guests or future guest who settled their bills already. 

Userlevel 2

Do you have an detailed article or advise on step 15 which exact fields these are?

I would like to test this next time for my Siteminder connection. Do I understand correctly that if this is used, channel manager updates will work? 

Hey @Femke so yes the fields are as follows:

• Channel Manager Number: This is the number of the reservation that is formed by the channel manager itself. For example if it's a SynXis booking this would be called the "Channel Reservation Number". While a booking from Expedia or Booking.com will already have it’s own number the Channel Manager also assigns the reservation with it’s own internal code. An example of what this would look like is for Booking.com reservations these would be shown as BDC-123456789, and for Expedia reservations these bookings would be displayed as EXP-123456789 in the channel manager overview. Just to reiterate that it's the reservation confirmation number (in the Channel Manager itself) assigned to a booking when it comes from whichever OTA/Booking Engine. Not all Channel Managers will have the same looking code as the above. In some cases the Channel Manager might use the same number as the OTA confirmation so it’s always ideal to check with them. 

• Channel Number: This is the reservation number that originates from the OTA itself.  Booking.com or Expedia will usually assign a code before the booking travles to the Channel Manager. This code is usually also transmitted and visible directly in the Channel Manager and it usually what clients see when they confirm bookings via an OTA. One last point is that if you’re using a Channel Manager booking engine (Siteminder Booking Button or SynXis BE) then the Channel Number will = the Channel Manager Number in 99% of the cases. 

• Channel Manager Integration ID: This is an internal code unique to each Mews Channel Manager integration that’s created and helps Mews to understand where to link the imported booking to. To garner this code simply head to the Mews Marketplace open up the Channel Manager integration and grab the GUID (referenced in the screenshot below).

And to answer your final question yes! The moment you import the bookings and they are correctly linked anytime we received a modification or cancellation Mews will be able to receive and action these commands with the relevant bookings. 

Userlevel 3

@jeki.kasanga thank you for the detailed explanation! I will give it a try next time. 

Userlevel 2

@jeki.kasanga thank you for the detailed explanation! I will give it a try next time. 

Anytime @Femke! I’ll also remind you next time we have a project together :) 

Userlevel 2

Hey @Femke so yes the fields are as follows:

• Channel Manager Number: This is the number of the reservation that is formed by the channel manager itself. For example if it's a SynXis booking this would be called the "Channel Reservation Number". While a booking from Expedia or Booking.com will already have it’s own number the Channel Manager also assigns the reservation with it’s own internal code. An example of what this would look like is for Booking.com reservations these would be shown as BDC-123456789, and for Expedia reservations these bookings would be displayed as EXP-123456789 in the channel manager overview. Just to reiterate that it's the reservation confirmation number (in the Channel Manager itself) assigned to a booking when it comes from whichever OTA/Booking Engine. Not all Channel Managers will have the same looking code as the above. In some cases the Channel Manager might use the same number as the OTA confirmation so it’s always ideal to check with them. 

• Channel Number: This is the reservation number that originates from the OTA itself.  Booking.com or Expedia will usually assign a code before the booking travles to the Channel Manager. This code is usually also transmitted and visible directly in the Channel Manager and it usually what clients see when they confirm bookings via an OTA. One last point is that if you’re using a Channel Manager booking engine (Siteminder Booking Button or SynXis BE) then the Channel Number will = the Channel Manager Number in 99% of the cases. 

• Channel Manager Integration ID: This is an internal code unique to each Mews Channel Manager integration that’s created and helps Mews to understand where to link the imported booking to. To garner this code simply head to the Mews Marketplace open up the Channel Manager integration and grab the GUID (referenced in the screenshot below).

And to answer your final question yes! The moment you import the bookings and they are correctly linked anytime we received a modification or cancellation Mews will be able to receive and action these commands with the relevant bookings. 

Dear @Femke ,

First of all, my sincere apologies for overlooking your questions. When you posted it, I was on vacation, and regrettably, this notification was lost among the numerous others I received.

That said, I want to thank @jeki.kasanga for stepping in and providing a perfectly detailed response!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey @Femke so yes the fields are as follows:

Hello! Thank you for that detailed response! Super helpful! Maybe you can help with how that works with the Channel Manager Number from D-EDGE. They deliver a reservation id like ILU3UK and a also a “uniqueId” to identify the room uniquely (like in reservations with more than one room) so in our previous PMS we hat something like ILU3UK-01 and ILU3UK-02 (for the second room in the same reservation). How exactly must those be assempled and put in the filed Channel manager number in the import file. Will ILU3UK-01 work? Or is another delimiter required?

Regards,

Jean-Philipp.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi there!

We went through a reservation import yesterday, and for all non-channelmanager reservation it went really very well and quickly! However, I would like to let everybody who might be interessted know what our experience was for channel-manager reservations: for us it was currently impossible to import (via import file) reservations that came to our old PMS from D-EDGE, because

1. There is no way to fill the “Channel manager number” field correctly
  2. D-EDGE currently is not able to send modifications for reservations it did not initially deliver to the new PMS, the modification just silently fails. Only once the recervations have been pushed again from D-EDGE Support to the new PMS will future modification be integrated.

Unfortunately, nobody at D-EDGE or MEWS could tell us that exactly beforehand… I hope documentation is going to be improved after our experience ;-) !

For us the only option remained to have D-EDGE push all reservations through the integration (thus room asignments, comments made after booking, etc, are lost). So my advice is: don’t waste your time with the import file for channel manager reservation import, just have them push them into MEWS, but be sure to have all your rates you used in the channel manager mapped correctly before!

Then, everthing works as expected.

Regards,

JP.