Solved

Failed payments

• 5 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello,

We have recently onboarded and are experiencing some weird issues with mews payments. I have certain card transactions which “seem” to go through in the sense that they generate a payment that appears on the invoice, allows us to close it and also appears in the payment report in the Carte-Terminal section and in my accounting report. The transaction itself when processed did not result in any failure message to the user but its status in the payment report is empty and does not read “Débité” like my other successful transactions. The transaction does not appear in my payout report and has been confirmed by support to have basically failed. Does anybody else experience such issues? Is it me or is it absolutely not normal for the system to

1.) Not warn the user at payment time that a transaction has failed so that he may correct it.
2.) Not flag the transaction status as failed.
3.) post a payment for this failed transaction that shows up on the closed invoice and in my accounting reports as a legitimate payment?

icon

Best answer by alinadeanda 6 December 2023, 16:06

View original

7 replies

Ok,

I finally figured it out. There seems to be 2 terminal concepts in Mews, one is for a 3rd party terminal and is realized in the terminal tab of the Payment by card option. The other one is the Mews Terminal which is realized by choosing the “Mews Terminal” payment type instead of “Payment by card”. So my staff was using the 3rd party terminal option instead of using the Mews Terminal. This posts the payment to the accounting and closes the bill without physically taking any payment. It would be nice if we could disable the 3rd party terminal tab if we don’t use one in order to avoid such confusion.

Badge

Hi @yxudous ,
To remove the Terminal tab, you'll need to uncheck all the options listed under “Accepted manual payment card types” in your Accounting Configuration settings (refer to the screenshot below).

It's important to note that these card types serve as a resource for correcting bills when necessary. Ghost payments, required for rebates, rely on Terminal cards.

For a comprehensive understanding of rebates, please refer to our guide: https://help.mews.com/s/article/Rebate-and-recreate-a-closed-bill?language=en_US

Thank you for the clarification @alinadeanda . For correcting such invoices, does the “ghost” payment need to be of the manual Terminal type or could we not simply use a bogus external payment like prepayment for example. Seems to me it would make it clearer that no payment was actually taken on the rebated and reissued bills.

Badge

@yxudous We recommend terminal payments to match the same payment type as the original. For example, if the client paid with a Mastercard, they would like to see that reflected in the final bill.
However, you can use external payments as you mentioned. I would suggest using the external payment option 'Credit Card' instead.
Don’t forget to add an accounting category to the new payment option 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@yxudous We recommend terminal payments to match the same payment type as the original. For example, if the client paid with a Mastercard, they would like to see that reflected in the final bill.
However, you can use external payments as you mentioned. I would suggest using the external payment option 'Credit Card' instead.
Don’t forget to add an accounting category to the new payment option 😊

ideally the ‘terminal payment’ is only available to be used with somebody with a specific workplace privilege; that way it can be used for financial corrections by somebody from finance - and perhaps a front office manager, but not the general population 😁

Thank you @alinadeanda  but I don’t see an option to restrict which payments can be used by which employees. Do you mean this restriction should be enforced outside Mews?

Badge

Thank you @alinadeanda  but I don’t see an option to restrict which payments can be used by which employees. Do you mean this restriction should be enforced outside Mews?

@yxudous this is only an idea that @mauritsbots suggested. At the moment, it is not possible to restrict payment types to certain employees.

@mauritsbots I think it’s a great suggestion! I invite you to add your idea to our feedback page here: https://feedback.mews.com/