Get your Digital Key questions answered during our live Q&A

Get your Digital Key questions answered during our live Q&A
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It’s likely that you’ve heard about Digital Key, our new contactless key solution that gives guests the power to unlock their rooms from their phones (without staff intervention).  

And, with something so new, it’s also likely you’ve got questions about what it is and how it works.  

To get answers to all your Digital Key questions, join us in the Mews Community on June 18th from 12-2pm CET for an informal Q&A session with James Taylor, our knowledgeable Product Manager. 

James will be ready to answer all your questions, whether you're interested in the technical details, implementation process, or potential impact on guest experience. 

Can't make it live? No problem. Drop your questions in the comments below ⬇️ before the session, and James will make sure to address them. 

Not yet a Mews Community member? Signing up is quick and easy. Register today to join the Q&A and start posting your questions. 

James looks forward to answering your questions here on June 18th. See you then! ✨ 

Add this event to your calendar

Apple       Google       Office 365       Outlook       Outlook.com       Yahoo

41 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi @Sarah.Masterton-Brown , when do you expect to have this live for SALTO locks?

am also looking forward to a timeline on Salto.

More information about the usage with common doors, luggage rooms, fitness access, etc., would be nice as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Ivo we are using Salto as well and are already waiting for it to be done 😊

I think the handling will be the same as with the regular doors at the moment. So if you allow specific rooms to use the elevator and / or floor they could use the digital key in the future.

If you don´t want to give everyone acess to p.a. the fitness and want to manage this in MEWS i think you need to create a bookable service by hour and add fitnesscapacity as “spaces”. So lets say you want max. 5 guests using the fitness you need to create 5 fitness spaces. Thank a guest could book it by him/herself and can get the digital key for it. Please note this spaces need to be payed extra. 

However: To use the digital key the door locks need to be online and you need the correct Salto licence.

Beside that the digital key solution from MEWS will cost something as well.

Best

Mariusz

What is the cost of the service? And do you recommend any provider is we are thinking to change our locks?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Tom987 we are waiting for the costs as well - so I cannot share that. Sorry 😊

As we are using Salto we are upgrading to BLUEnet. This means reagarding to your doors you need to check if only parts of the lock or all need to be changed. As well you need GATEWAYS where you connect the door locks to (i think max 16 door locks per gateway). They need to be connceted via LAN to network.

Buying is not with Salto directly but a support partner near your property. 

I hope this helps.

Best

Mariusz

This is great news! Are y’all roadmapping other digital key formats into this as well?

PIN code format systems are big for us (RemoteLock, KeyCafe). SALTO Space/KS and Brivo would be at the top of my wishlist as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@joemangoni check out Bob W Hotels. I was staying with them last week at Amsterdam and the used Salto PIN to enter the Hotel, Floors and Room. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SoRSUvSM2ujd4yzP9

I do not know which solution they are using

Best

Mariusz

Thank you @Mariusz Siwkowski for sharing your experience and knowledge!

In general; will Digital Key open the road for Apple / Google wallet as well?

Hi @Sarah.Masterton-Brown , when do you expect to have this live for SALTO locks?
​​​​​

More information about the usage with common doors, luggage rooms, fitness access, etc., would be nice as well.

@Ivo we are using Salto as well and are already waiting for it to be done 😊

We will be working on SALTO SPACE next, we’re currently discussing the best integration format with the Salto Team. Once we have a delivery date locked in, I will update this thread.

This is great news! Are y’all roadmapping other digital key formats into this as well?

PIN code format systems are big for us (RemoteLock, KeyCafe). SALTO Space/KS and Brivo would be at the top of my wishlist as well.

Supporting Pin Codes and showing these in the Guest Portal is something we’ve been looking into but I don’t have anything else to share on this yet. We’ll be sure to reach out if we have any questions around our designs. 

In general; will Digital Key open the road for Apple / Google wallet as well?

Absolutely. Supporting Wallet credentials will be developed the moment the door lock systems and the operating systems allow it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Exciting! Unfortunately I can’t make it, so I’ll share my question here; what is the timeline on development with Hotek for digital keys? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi,

do you have an updated timeplan when this will be available for Android + Assa Abloy integration?

Best

Linus 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello everyone 👋,

I’m James and I’m one of the Product Managers at Mews who works on our new Digital Key. 

Thank you to those who already submitted questions and to @AdamMews and @Mariusz Siwkowski for already answering many of them!

I’ll be here monitoring this thread for the next two hours. I look forward to hearing what’s on your mind in relation to Digital Key so please keep your questions coming.

Let’s jump in to some that were already asked 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Ivo, thank you for the question.

@Mariusz Siwkowski  gave a great answer to this below your original question, but I’ll expand a little on what he said. The Digital key will support all common doors that are configured as part of the room access. For example, if room 201 should always have access to the front door, elevator and luggage room, and this is configured in your key provider system; then the Digital Key will also support this.

However, Digital Key does not yet support temporary access. For example, a guest stays in room 201 and books access to the spa on Saturday afternoon. The guest should only have access to the spa during the configured hours, but the Digital Key cannot be temporarily updated with this access. We want to address this use case in future, but it has several technical challenges that we need to work through first. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What is the cost of the service? And do you recommend any provider is we are thinking to change our locks?

Hi @Tom987, thank you for the question!

You can find the cost by searching for “Digital Key” in the Marketplace and viewing the “Pricing” tab. This will show the expected cost of the Digital Key for your specific property.

As for recommended door lock providers, currently the Digital Key from Mews is only compatible with Assa Abloy door locks running Vostio or VisiOnline software. As Adam mentioned, we will be working on Salto Space soon and will share timing for this once we have it.

How do i get the link to the live cchat?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Exciting! Unfortunately I can’t make it, so I’ll share my question here; what is the timeline on development with Hotek for digital keys? 

Hi @Sanne, thank you for adding your question.

I’m afraid we don’t have a clear development timeline for Hotek at the moment. Thank you for sharing that this would be of interest to you as this helps inform our development planning. However, we will be sure to share more details once we have a clearer plan for Hotek.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi,

do you have an updated timeplan when this will be available for Android + Assa Abloy integration?

Best

Linus 

Hi @Linus.Bihn, thank you for following up on the availability of Android.

The team is actively working on the Android version right now. We’re targeting to start making this available towards the end of July and will keep you informed as we get closer to this target.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

How do i get the link to the live cchat?

Hi @AndyHewitt, please feel free to ask any questions in this thread. I’ll reply here so anyone interested int he Digital Key can benefit from the answer.

Hey James, is the webinar live now? Thats what my calnder says? 

Will digital key only work as a native app or are there any plans to support a web based access as well? 

Questions on the whole process start to finish?

• When and how does the guest recive key instructions/check in instructions
  • Can it be automated and set on triggers and to what extent?
  • How does guest receive (link I assume to access key)
  • Process if Guest Face & ID don’t match
  • Can Bond be submitted?
  • Is it a two way communication SMS feature?
  • Does it recognise return guests to make a welcome back flow and recognise loyalty?
  • Does it recognise unpaid rooms and not send info – how does it distinguish between VCC and normal credit card?
  • How does it handle multiple rooms booked by one person to get info of other guests easily? Best solution (no one has yet developed) is to have a message the booker can send to the people who are stying witch has a link they press and they press and enter their details in one of the rooms (happy to chat more on this)
  • What’s the process if a booker books for their client/employee – scope needs to be set that booker gets invoice, guest gets arrival instruction, at current in other systems its all or nothing, we have to manually manipulate in AKAI
  • How is the digital Key accessed? Must still be via an app for now – unless using Web Keys from some providers?
  • Will the key be linked to certain add ons and autmatically allow/not allow access - i.e. Parking? Current issues with Digital Keys
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @AndyHewitt, there isn’t a webinar link for this event.

During this event I’m monitoring this page in the Community for any questions and responding instantly. The goal is to help reduce the time to answer questions now that we’ve launched the Digital Key.

I’m happy to help if you’re curious about the Digital Key.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Will digital key only work as a native app or are there any plans to support a web based access as well? 

Hi @Ivo,

Currently, we are focused on providing an experience through native applications. This has the benefit of access to certain device permissions (e.g. bluetooth and near-field communication). We are using a native application, but have enabled guests to bypass the App Store so there is less-friction and a more seamless experience.

We have no immediate plans to offer this as a web-based product, but please do share more details if there’s a specific reason you’re interested in this option.

Hi @AndyHewitt, there isn’t a webinar link for this event.

During this event I’m monitoring this page in the Community for any questions and responding instantly. The goal is to help reduce the time to answer questions now that we’ve launched the Digital Key.

I’m happy to help if you’re curious about the Digital Key.

Be keen to get a demo, time line and pricing. About to sign and pay 1 year contracts for 4 propeties. 

Can you arrange ASAP please?

Will there be any stats available regarding usage?

and on guest level, can a guest be tagged as DK user for example? 

in the daily usage; will DK use some kind of geo fencing to make sure the guest is in the hotel?