Granular cancellation policies

• 16 October 2023
  • 55 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi all,

Hope you are doing excellent! 

Not yet in beta, but rather I am trying to understand more about what your exact needs are with regards to cancellation policies. 🔮

We are currently looking into giving our cancellation policies an upgrade, meaning: Being able to set cancellation policies on rate groups and rates in order to gain highest return on cancellations possible. Meaning, on high-pickup dates, a higher cancellation policy is to be charged to the guest. 

What we are thinking of is to add the flexibility to specify cancelation policies on both rate group and rate level. Additionally, to give the ability to specify cancellation policy on specific time periods.

Does this sounds like something you would use? If so, I would love to speak with you! 

Please feel free to leave a comment in the conversation and let’s have a chat in the near future 😊

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Warmest,

Nienke 

55 replies

Yes I do think it’s a good idea. Mostly there are 3-4 different cancellation policies to apply and 20 different public, negotiated and corporate rates. Of course each of these rate will have their own cancellation policy, but sometimes this may change if a larger room contingent or a specific period of the year is booked. This would avoid the need to create additional rates only to cover these specific cases. 

Thks Sara

Userlevel 2

Hi Nienke,

I think its a great development. I would love to use it for my high demand periods.

however, when using granular cancellation policies it is most important the guest is able to see the booked policy on its confirmation letter. as they defer from “standard”.

currently there is no [placeholder] possibility to add the cxl policies to any template.

Best regards

Martijn

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Nienke,

I think its a great development. I would love to use it for my high demand periods.

however, when using granular cancellation policies it is most important the guest is able to see the booked policy on its confirmation letter. as they defer from “standard”.

currently there is no [placeholder] possibility to add the cxl policies to any template.

Best regards

Martijn

Hi Martijn,

Thank you for your reply! And definitely this is a point I will be thinking of when working on this topic. 

I would love to have a discussion with you to cover some more questions I have on the topic. I will reach out to you in a private message :) 

Warmest,

Nienke

Hi Nienke.

This sounds like something we would use on our hotels on the Dutch Wadden Islands. Here we are dealing with high and low season, in high season we would like to have stricter cancellation policies than in winter. 

Kind regards,

Dewi

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Nienke.

This sounds like something we would use on our hotels on the Dutch Wadden Islands. Here we are dealing with high and low season, in high season we would like to have stricter cancellation policies than in winter. 

Kind regards,

Dewi

Hi Dewi,

Thank you for your reply! 

I would love to learn more about your needs with regards to this functionality. I will send you a private message to potentially schedule a call.

Warmest regards, 

Nienke

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Nienke Wilbrink,

feel free to get in touch anytime. Happy to organise a meeting with our revenue team.

Greetings,
Eric

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi all! 

@Eric Kröll @dvdb @Martijn Coolen Slow Traveling @Sara_LeClay 

Hope you are doing great :D 

Thank you so much for your input in the past interviews once again! We have been speaking with many of you and with our integration partners to find out what the requirements are for “Granular Cancellation Policies”. 

Now, we will be moving towards the design stage✍ For this we would like to learn more about your preferred way of setting up your cancellation policies and manage them afterwards. 

Would you be available to speak with us perhaps next week? (Amsterdam time-zone) 

Wednesday 6/12 Afternoon (15:00 onwards) 

Thursday 7/12 Afternoon (14:30 - 16:00)

Friday 8/12 Morning (11:00 - 13:30) 

Hope to hear from you :D 

Warmest,

Nienke 

Userlevel 4
Badge

HI @Nienke Wilbrink,

we will happily take a slot on thursday 7/12 afternoon. Can you send it to the same people as last time?

Thanks.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Nienke Wilbrink ,

Im available on Wednesday 6/12 or 7/12 between 10-16H, whatever time suits you best

BR Martijn 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you both! @Martijn Coolen Slow Traveling and @Eric Kröll :D 

I have send you the invites.

Looking forward to speaking! 

Userlevel 2

Hi there,

this sound like a useful project and would, if I understand correctly, safe time and reduce complexity +++

Just a few thoughts from my side:

-Why would you enable cancellation policies on rate group level and on rate level? What is the advantage of setting it on 2 levels. Isn't that confusing and tricky? What overrules what?

If you can set cancellation policies on rate level, a small wish would come true.

Example: A 3 day trade fair from Tue - Thu and a guest wants to book from Mon - Thu.

SET UP right now: We use an EVENT rate which is in a separate rate group with a clx policy of 30 days. Before and after the trade fair we open the MOST FLEX rate which sits in the rate group with a clx policy of same day 18:00.

To book a stay from Mon - Thu, the EVENT rate needs to be open on Monday or earlier. Otherwise it will show 0 availability as mews cannot mix different rates in one booking.

The downside of this workaround is that a booking from Mon - Thu will show a 30 day clx policy for every night. If the booking is done through an OTA, different clx policies can be set for every night and the first night will have the regular 18:00 same day clx policy and only the trade fair nights will have the 30 day clx policy. That is a competitive disadvantage and also complicated as we need to work with overlapping rates in mews.

If it was possible to set the clx policy from day to day, this disadvantage would be gone.

This brings me to my next question:

If mews was able to mix different rates in one booking, it would be the best of all worlds, because we could have the MOFLEX rate bookable until Tue and from Tue - Thu the EVENT rate would be bookable. No overlapping rates are necessary. 

In the booking from Mo - Thu we would have Mon with a CLX (18:00 same day) and from Tue - Thu we would have a CLX of 30 days.

No problems with 0 availability. No rate overlapping, corresponding CLX policies etc.

Straight forward and simple.

We also would not have the problem to create more and more rate groups because of differing CLX policies. E.g. different channels demand different CLX policies. on one channel it is 5 days, the next one is 7 days and sometimes I want to make a direct bookable special with a 3 days clx policy. At the end I end up with tens of rate groups, but only because of a broad range of clx policies. This doesn't make sense and makes live complicated.

I am happy to discuss these thoughts and maybe there is someone out there who has a solution.

Max

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello @Max ,

Thank you for your elaborate reply and feedback! Would you perhaps be available for a call with me and the team to discuss this further, potentially on Wednesday? 

I would love to hear from you and learn from your point of view. 

Looking forward to hearing! 

Warmest,

Nienke 

Userlevel 2

Hi Nienke,

yes, I’d be happy to talk to you. Wed would work best between 11h and 15h. Is that possible with you? Max

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello all!

@Eric Kröll @dvdb @Martijn Coolen Slow Traveling @Sara_LeClay @Max 

Hope you are doing wonderful :D 

We have been doing some further work on this topic, and have concluded that we would like to add in this same functionality the configuration of Settlement rules (apart from cancellation policy). We have also moved forward with design of the creation and assignment of these cancellation rules. 

I would love to speak with some of you once more to share with you these designs, ask you further questions, and receive your feedback. 

Would you perhaps see any availability at the end of next week/beginning of the week after for a 30 minute call with me and the teams? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Warmest,

Nienke 

Userlevel 2

Hi Nienke,

sure, beginning of next week works for me :)

Best

Martijn ​

Userlevel 2

Good news Nienke & team! Sounds promising.

we are happy to join your call! Max

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Nienke,

happy to do a meeting with you guys either thursday or friday at around 2 p.m.

Looking forward to your response.

Greetings, Eric

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @Max @Eric Kröll @Martijn Coolen Slow Traveling ,

Thank you so much for your reply! 

Would you perhaps see availability in any of these slots?

Monday 22/1 at 15:00 - 15:30 

Tuesday 23/1 at 13:00 - 13:30

Tuesday 23/1 at 15:00 - 15:30

Hope to hear from you and looking forward to speaking :D 

Warmest regards, 

Nienke 

Userlevel 2

Hi Nienke,

all 3 slots are fine for me :)

BR Martijn 

Userlevel 2

Hi Nienke,

all 3 slots are possible for us as well.

Max 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Martijn Coolen Slow Traveling @Max ,

Love the flexibility!

I will forward the invite soon :D 

Thank you so much. 

Warmest regards,

Nienke

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Eric Kröll , would you see any availability on Tuesday 23/1 at 15:00 - 15:30 perhaps? :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Eric Kröll , would you see any availability on Tuesday 23/1 at 15:00 - 15:30 perhaps? :) 

@Nienke Wilbrink 23rd will be quite difficult, as we are opening a hotel on that date. Sent you a private message, maybe you can get in touch directly with our revenue department and discuss possible time slots with them.

Good afternoon everyone and I hope you’re all doing well 😄

Following on from our discussion with regards to cancellation policies, we have a short prototype that we would love for you to complete.

It should take around 3 minutes in total, and is a mix of tasks and survey questions.

👉 Click here to complete the prototype

Should you have any further questions or comments please feel free to leave them at the end of the prototype when prompted to do so, or alternative you can add them here. And if you would like us to follow up directly then please also leave your name and / or contact details.

Thanks again for your continued interest in this subject.

Tom

Userlevel 2

Good morning everyone, would love to test the beta at all hotels of Rastelli Group, could you please enable it?