Solved

The Need for a Third Gender Option

• 1 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello Community,

I hope this post finds you well. Today, I want to open up a conversation about a topic that's been lingering in MEWS feedback portal – the addition of a third gender option in the Guest Profiles.

In the MEWS feedback portal, there are currently three feature requests addressing this issue:

1. Add Gender as Handling Criteria for Hostels (13 votes)
  2. Add Non-Binary as Genderline Check-In (120 votes)
  3. Add Non-Binary as Gender (26 votes)

Surprisingly, all these requests are currently labeled as "Unlikely," with no roadmap commitment from the product team.

I've been in touch with some hostels, particularly those offering female-only dorms. For them, having gender information before guests arrive is crucial. However, the current online check-in process only provides the choice between male and female, leaving out a significant portion, or simply not ask for this information.

I'm curious to hear from other organizations. Do you consider gender information important for online check-in? And if so, do you see the need for a third-gender option?

Additionally, it would be great if the product team could shed some light on why these requests are flagged as "Unlikely" on the Feature Request page. Understanding the reasoning behind this decision would help us navigate this discussion more effectively.

Let's open up this dialogue. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Claudia

icon

Best answer by coudert.mathias 5 February 2024, 15:28

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

hi @ClaudiaM. what actually baffles me is the fact that there is nobody at MEWS (diversity is one of their core values right?) finds this an unlikely feature to create.. nobody on this forum from guest profile team @jesson.atherton ??

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

hi @ClaudiaM. what actually baffles me is the fact that there is nobody at MEWS (diversity is one of their core values right?) finds this an unlikely feature to create.. nobody on this forum from guest profile team @jesson.atherton ??

Hi, @mauritsbots this is the main reason why I want to bring this up and see if I am alone with my opinion on that. Especially the German hotels are having issues with it. 
We believe this information would be super helpful for us.  I hope some others will also comment and we see if it is worth further discussion. What baffles me is that this should not be such a massive development. Or maybe I am not seeing something here. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@ClaudiaM.  This is indeed an important topic and @mauritsbots , to your point, Mews ‘prides’ itself on it’s diversity values, so this is related.
I will dig further into this so that I / the product team can give an accurate answer on where we are on this subject.  I will loop back here.
Thank you for raising this.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @ClaudiaM. @mauritsbots, this is indeed important for us and I am happy to say that we are planning a revamp of the guest profile later this year and it is of course included in our design. We are still doing some discovery around that topic specifically because there are some legal implication regarding police / statistical reports. Not all the legal environments where Mews operates are yet aligned on this so we need to make sure we don’t break any integration. 
I ll be happy to share more on Mews guest profile  improvements and this topic soon. 

Thanks.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

thanks for the update @coudert.mathias 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@coudert.mathias Music to my ears, looking forward to seeing the improvement later this year. 
Many thanks for the update. Feel free to reach out in case of any tests or information on it. We can provide some EU countries with specific requirements :-) 

Looking forward to it. Thanks

Claudia