Solved

Service Charge Setup

• 17 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Apprentice
  • 2 replies

Hi MEWS Community! My hotel is in Indonesia, we are applying service charge and VAT. In MEWS we have to create service charge as a product hence rate+service charge will be sent to CRS (we are using SynXis/Sabre). We want to be able to send naked rate without service charge to CRS, and service charge to be displayed same as VAT. Anyone has similar situation and what is your setup in MEWS? I would appreciate your feedback or recommendation. Thank you guys!

icon

Best answer by Joanna.Svehlova 20 January 2023, 15:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

Thank you for raising this question. As it seems that we do not have clients experiencing a similar issue, I may comment on that.

Mews can send “naked” rates if you remove the product (service charge) from the mapping. If the product is mapped, Mews will send rate + product.

I would recommend checking with SynXis if there is any possibility to add the service charge at their end if they would received only net rate from Mews. 

Please let me know your feedback.

Joanna 🌹

Userlevel 1

Thanks Joanna. I worked for different countries and the setup for the service charge or any prevailing surcharges is the same setup as VAT or GST. It’s applied on the property level, not on rate code level. Is there any possibility in MEWS to do this?

And one more thing, MEWS can only have 1 rate setup for the hotel either inclusive or exclusive tax(s). Other PMSs I used previously.  The hotel can create both inclusive and exclusive tax(s)’ rate codes, Is MEWS considering this feature?

Thanks again, really appreciate your assistance!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Aam,

Thank you as well. The net/gross environment is set on the property level once the property is “built”.

You can always have net pricing, but sometimes you can not have gross pricing because of legal environment requirements.  

There is a possibility to create different rates in Mews, both inclusive and exclusive tax (VAT, GST) under the pricing tab of a rate.

Click on the base price and choose the tax rate. 

Please let me know if this is the functionality you were looking for?

Thank you and kind regards,

Joanna 🌹

Userlevel 1

Hi @Joanna.Svehlova,

Thanks, but the issue is more complicated.

First thing, MEWS only have setup for VAT, but not service charge (this is legal as per the government). After long conversation, we finally have to setup service charge as a product, this meant that setup for  VAT and Service charge are different whereby VAT setup on property level but service charge setup is on product level, this is very tricky and not friendly at all. MEWS should consider to have service charge setup the same how the VAT setup. Most of the PMS I used in different hotels & countries I worked for, they have this option.

If I applied the functionality as your advise for VAT, still I have to deal with service charge since the setup for service charge is to be added as “always”, so my problem is not solve yet.

If you have setup for service charge, the same as VAT, then my problem will be solved.

PMS should have fields for all possible surcharge in any country such as VAT, City Tax, Bed tax, service charge, etc. and any property can choose which ones are applicable to their property based on which country their hotel located.

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @Aam,

I just came across this conversation and I would like to ask you to put your suggestion on our feedback page.

This way it will not get forgotten and other properties and your colleagues can upvote your idea. 💡

Our product managers are checking this page regularly and planning our roadmap based on the feedback from our clients :)

Thank you and wishing you a wonderful day! 🍀