Outsourced facilities in the property

• 24 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi guys, I would like to have your feedback on the following scenario: 

The property has a third-party supplier who rents out the kitchen.

They sell meals to guests and locals.

The hotel has a bar which is handled by the property. 

When guests take a meal from a supplier, they charge this in Mews on a room.

At the end of the month, they pay the taken amounts back to the supplier.

The same with Lightspeed, they book the meal in LS and take the payment on behalf of the supplier.

This means they book revenue that is not actually theirs and payout 100%.

They don’t wish to have separate terminals as the guest would need to pay for the food to the supplier and for the drinks to the hotel.

IMHO this is a standard to have outsourced facilities and manage the accounting accordingly and the accountant should be able to deal with that easily, but as per them it is not the way they wish to handle that...any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Woooooooooooooo……. I am in the same boat.

Finance dept is having a shit-fit. We shouldn’t be crossing sales as it shows up on hotel P&L even though it isn’t. Our only solution is to eventually outsource the whole of the F&B to the renter (we are a 42 room hotel with no previous food besides breakfast). Might be easier ti give them the whole thing, and
“rent” for an appropriate/guaranteed rental price. 

having 2 terminals/POS, is horrible. Pay drinks here, pay food there. And FYI, they sell their food to the neighborhood, so if it was only guests… easy peasy lemon squeezy. But we have public coming to order food, and then order our drinks. 

I would be up for a chat bc we are also trying to figure this out. [email protected]

Talk soon 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@willjordan  @Mariusz Siwkowski @Mick  Are any of you encountering this and have you found a magic formula to navigate this challenge? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I haven’t experienced this exact scenario, however if you want to use the same merchant facilities then i would think the best approach would be by using a secondary additional service with it’s own Accounting codes assigned. This would help in the separation of hotel vs kitchen revenue. The merchant payouts would still be combined and accounts team would still need to perform manual actions to pay the supplier. So whilst not perfect, i think it’s probably the best option without introducing a 2nd merchant. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Mick 

Issue still arrises with accounting. Regardless of 2 accounting codes/departments, numbers still show up as revenue and 0 balancing it out is A) another task for accounting B) doesnt give you accurate figures when looking over your PL C) messes with your REVPAG.

Ideally, and we are seriously looking at this… give the renter the whole thing. Hand over F&B to them. (We do not have convention/meeting facilities), so it’s really just breakfast from us and in the capacity we do it (breakfast bag to go), I wouldn’t mind giving it to someone else. 

We do hold quite a few events, and our bar sales are pretty decent, but that can be factored into a rental price and it’s win win for everyone.