Skip to main content
Solved

Open shift Cashier

• 28 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi 😊

How do we open a new shift without doing this:

1. Click +Transaction received.
  2. Choose the Currency of the cash you're putting into the cashier for the shift.
  3. Under Value received, enter the amount of money you're putting into the cashier for the starting balance.

We already have a starting balance, is that wrong ?

If it is wrong, how do i remove it again ?

Thank you 😀

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Camilla, 

This is Ivan from Mews Support.

I see where your concern lies based upon the information shared in this article: Open or close a cashier shift (mews.com).

As I can see from your screenshot, a new shift was opened at 12:39 today, with some standing balance. Although the help center article above suggests using +Transaction received, this is only useful when you are entering an additional amount on top of the standing balance to start the new shift.

On the other hand, if you had proceeded with Closing shift (as specified in the article) leaving some amount in the cashier and that’s enough for the shift operations, no further addition would be needed.

Using the example you shared again, if the standing balance is the amount you wish to operate the new shift with, you won’t need to use +Transaction received.

I hope to have made this clear enough, but don’t hesitate to ask any relevant questions.

Best,

Ivan

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Camilla

I recommend the following procedure upon shift end:

- Pull payment report for cash postings for duration of shift (no filter on user if you have generic cashiers, filter on user if you have personalized cashiers). Include in the filter Cash and Cashier transactions
- Take the sum of cash indicated on the payment report out of your cash box, and register a cash drop for this sum in Mews Cashier (Transaction Paid)
- Go on close shift, and enter the amount you really have in your cash box (not the theoretical one!) under “Base Value Correction”
- Close the shift

=> this will lead to two things
1) New shift starts with the amount in the cash box (not a fake value or a wrong value and has a proper base to start off from)
2) Mews will indicate on the cashier report if there is a discrepancy between theoretical and real amount of cash in the cash box

=> On the shift report you hand in to finance, you have then indicated
1) The cash drop you did
2) The discrepancy / money having disappeared to be dealt with
Finance can validate against this.

Best, Marc