Solved

Maestro payments

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Mews community,

I was wondering if any of the countries using Maestro for payments has found a solution for payments in the merchant.

Currently we are loosing out to bookings to major OTA's who do accept Maestro. However, when a guests books through Mews he cannot use Maestro.

Thank you for your thoughts 🙂

icon

Best answer by mitch.spelten 12 January 2023, 08:28

View original

14 replies

Hi Matthias, thanks for your message!

When you say pay through Maestro, could you elaborate how? If I go to booking.com and try to book your hotel it’s not given as an option. In the NL we use iDeal, which might be familiar. Are you referring to Mr Cash or Giropay?

Thanks for your response :) 

Kind regards, Mitch 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Mitch 

Unfortunately iDeal only works for NL bank accounts. In Belgium the only option at this time is Bancontact (previously known as MrCash) for people who do not have a mastercard, visa…

So this is where we want to find a solution as a lot of Belgian guests cannot make a booking at this time. 

Kind regards 

Matthias 

Hi Matthias,

That makes sense. I can also see this has been voted on in the feedback portal. For now we do not have any concrete plans to introduce this payment method. I do know that we are talking about expanding the number of alternate methods accepted. The Benelux is a large and important region for Mews, so I will pass this on to the team. 

For payments done in the hotel, the pin terminals Mews provides do accept Maestro, and we offer separate pricing for Maestro. 

Kind regards,

Mitch 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks @mitch.spelten  For reference on this topic, the link to this idea in the feedback portal can be found here: Allow (Maestro) debit card payments

Userlevel 3

In addition to this very important use case also Paypal should be deeply integrated. For us in Germany, > 30% of our the guests in Germany/Austria cannot pay per credit card. 
After they payed manually via bank transfer and we figured that out manually in mews, they are getting confused, because mews in the online check in asks again for the credit card. Mews knows at this time that the customer does not have one!!! We want to use the online check in for getting guest data, but do not want to ask again for the credit card data. This confuses more than 30 percent of our gurst ans look very unprofessional…
So please look at the feedback portal. Paypal is very often asked for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards from Germany
Kai

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In addition to this very important use case also Paypal should be deeply integrated. For us in Germany, > 30% of our the guests in Germany/Austria cannot pay per credit card. 
After they payed manually via bank transfer and we figured that out manually in mews, they are getting confused, because mews in the online check in asks again for the credit card. Mews knows at this time that the customer does not have one!!! We want to use the online check in for getting guest data, but do not want to ask again for the credit card data. This confuses more than 30 percent of our gurst ans look very unprofessional…
So please look at the feedback portal. Paypal is very often asked for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards from Germany
Kai

I just responded to paypal on a different post… go have a look at the other paypal conversation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Mitch 

Unfortunately iDeal only works for NL bank accounts. In Belgium the only option at this time is Bancontact (previously known as MrCash) for people who do not have a mastercard, visa…

So this is where we want to find a solution as a lot of Belgian guests cannot make a booking at this time. 

Kind regards 

Matthias 

What you can do is, automate Zapier that when a guest chooses Maestro, an automated process starts that would send a payment link to the guest. If it is not paid within 24 hours (reservation dept would need to check this… yes more work.. but no dropped reservations), then cancelled…. I am not a Zapier champ yet, maybe someone else can check this, but it could be a decent workaround.

Dan

Userlevel 3

What you can do is, automate Zapier that when a guest chooses Maestro,

Hi Dan, 
good idea to go this way.
how can the guest choose different payment methods in MEWS booking engine? Is that possible. We only can offer our guests the page asking for the creditcard details but can not add a link or a button to choose the type of payment...

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Mitch 

Kind regards 

Matthias 

What you can do is, automate Zapier that when a guest chooses Maestro, an automated process starts that would send a payment link to the guest. If it is not paid within 24 hours (reservation dept would need to check this… yes more work.. but no dropped reservations), then cancelled…. I am not a Zapier champ yet, maybe someone else can check this, but it could be a decent workaround.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, the Mews Merchant doesn’t accept Maestro. So, therefore we cannot use the payment requests / links. Another issue is that the Mews Booking Engine doesn’t support the option of Maestro. So, sadly guests aren’t able to select it…

Matthias

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Dan, 
how can the guest choose different payment methods in MEWS booking engine? Is that possible. We only can offer our guests the page asking for the creditcard details but can not add a link or a button to choose the type of payment...

Dont quote me in this, but some basic HTML coding should allow you to offer a different button. A simple redirect to a stripe/woocommerce “checkout store”… you would def need to speak to Mews and a programmer/coder about this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Dan, 

Dont quote me in this, but some basic HTML coding should allow you to offer a different button. A simple redirect to a stripe/woocommerce “checkout store”… you would def need to speak to Mews and a programmer/coder about this.

dont forget to cross settle manually. If you accept payments on a different channel which isn’t linked with mews, you would need to manage payments daily.

Userlevel 3

sorry. Where can we configure any HTML in the Mews Booking Engine. There is no access to edit anything of the booking engine in my opinion… Would be great! Pls tell me where to find it! 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

sorry. Where can we configure any HTML in the Mews Booking Engine. There is no access to edit anything of the booking engine in my opinion… Would be great! Pls tell me where to find it! 😀

Above my pay grade, but Mews should be able to help. Tools like Hotelchamp can help potentially but not sure how it can link with the total reservation amount and then redirect. Talking with Mews is your best bet. 

I was only suggesting workarounds… and check with zapier with this as well. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I am not sure but I think Mews will not allow this. The payments they allow via credit cards are linked to Mews' “Stripe” account and not our own Stripe account.
The fees Mews charges are the following for processing on their platform: (At least the fees we pay)
Visa/Mastercard: 1.10%
Amex: 3.95%
Maestro: 0,36€.
Card protect: 0,20€.
Payment request: 0,10%
Chargeback: 15€.
If you include all the accounts they have through Mews at Stripe then they are getting serious volume discounts that they obtain at Stripe. If they were to allow another system that they have no self-interest in they won't earn anything more from it and will therefore not allow it.
But this is just my thought on this and I am not 100% sure because there is nothing about this on their site.