Looking for a hostel that has Salto as key system

• 23 February 2024
  • 6 replies

hey

I am looking to pick another hostel brain that works with salto key integration and mews….to see if we can compared notes on good configuration.

Anyone?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello @MariannBOOK1 

I do know one hotel using this system here in Liège (Belgium) called Yust Hotel but it’s not around on the Community forum 😥

So maybe you will find some answers to your questions following this help page: https://help.mews.com/s/article/salto-for-mews-pms?language=en_US

Best regards

Stephane

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MariannBOOK1 

We implemented this at customers, and the important point was to set this parameter:
{ "Type": "IndustryStandardProtocol", "DuplicateKeyAllowed":"True" }

See here: https://help.mews.com/s/article/salto-for-mews-pms

Best, Marc

Hi guys

Thanks for sharing the article. Maybe I should have explained a bit better why I was looking:

We have the integration. It is working. If we were a hotel😁

Our issue is that we have dorms that can be sold as individual private rooms and as “bed in”.

And we need the issued key to print access to different locks in that room depending if you buy it private of if you just reserve a bed.

A bit like a hotel that has a suite with an interconnecting room. When the customer buys that room-combo a key should be issued that contains a code for 2 doors.

But when we sell a “parent” room, the Mews connector sends the codes for all the dependent spaces (child rooms) in the code to Salto. Instead of just “I am a parent room code”.

Then Salto will only pick the last code and programme that onto the physical key.

And that code string is also the code of a child room sold as a child room. So we can not do work- arounds on that bit of code, without missing the possibility of selling BOTH parent and child rooms.

Long story short….if anyone has Salto/Mews and a solution where you are able to make a key for EACH for these 3 scenarios:

• 1 parent room (suite just 1 room sold ->key made just for the suite)
  • 1 child room (the interconnecting room sold as a “normal room” (key made just for the “child” room)
  • 1 Happy Family room (the suite AND the interconnecting room ->and keys made for all the doors in those 2 physical room)

So maybe some hostel/hotel has a solution with a pseudo/room number setup/fake categories…. of some sort, to be able to do the programming….that I can then use for dorm rooms with a whole lot of locks.

Regards

Mariann

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MariannBOOK1 

Yes, we have experienced this issue as well, which is in our opinion a bad design in Mews. I have not checked lately if it is still there, but the issue was basically what you are stating:

- When encoding the key for the parent room, Mews will send a list of the contained room doors to Salto, leading to that only the last room is encoded on the card

- Better solution would be to send the parent room number (and only this room number) to Salto, and configure in Salto a dedicated room with this number, containing the two doors.

Above problem is not only valid for Salto, but for most if not all key systems I know.

We have not found any solution for this so far except to encode the card directly over Salto.

Best, Marc

Hi @marc agilotel 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Absolutely agree that a more suitable solution would be to send the parent room code. Which would provide a more technical flexibility for the various types of properties that uses Mews.

And you don’t need to check….the issue is still there 😉

Unfortunately it is not mentioned in the help articles/ in the integration material etc. Which is why we thought the issue was with the Salto programming of the physical doors. So has taken some time to work out WHERE the core issue is burried.

But here´s hoping someone “out there” has found a creative work around 🤞

Regards

Mariann

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @MariannBOOK1 thank you for your question 🙂

Do you have child and parent spaces mapped in the key cutter integration in Mews?

If only child spaces are mapped and not parent, then Mews will just send the ID for the child space. This will only work, though, if the ID’s in Salto are the same as the Room names in Mews.

If you would like us to take a deeper look at your property specifically, then please create a support case for us and we will be happy to help. This is a GDPR precaution to avoid sharing sensitive property specific data on the community.