Solved

Deposit on cans, PET bottles etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

hi all,

I've got a question and was hoping for some insights on how others deal with this;

In some of our hotels we sell cans of beer, and PET bottles with soda at the front desk. These are sold and paid for using MEWS and thus the receptionists needs to charge both the can, as the ‘deposit charge’ (statiegeld) for each item separately. How do other hotels deal with this situation?

We have suggested to just raise pricing and make a correction posting in our accounting software, but we have already been informed that law requires to actually show on invoice that there is a separate deposit charge. 

Furthermore, I've been told that in a few months the EU legislation comes into effect that we also need to show on invoice to guest what part of the sale is perhaps some sort of ‘packaging’. Especially when it is single use plastics… 

Several POS systems have simple functionality for packaging products, so with these systems I can think of several ways to implement this easily, but within MEWS I find this difficult.

Who has that amazing answer I am looking for? Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by mauritsbots 30 March 2023, 12:16

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Maurits,

For this I would just create a new product “statiegeld” which you put on top of your items list.

Then you just select it each time for the number of drinks needed, so it’s added to the bill.

Once guests bring back the “packaging” you can just go to the items again and select the product again (- this time), so you can issue a ‘Credit Note’.

As for the New EU legislation (i believe you’re mentioning the 2030 regulation?). As I read it, it’s more an issue for manufacturers and packaging companies and not necessarily an obligation for Hotels, bars and restaurant. However, we’ll no longer be allowed to use single use packaging materials (plastic, paper, small toiletries...).

Userlevel 5
Badge

Following on @MatthiasH I’m 95% sure you can add this new product via a rule that auto-adds to the bill whenver a corresponding Product is sold.

Then - when they return the bottle - you delete the charge off of the orders section on their profile.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Following on @MatthiasH I’m 95% sure you can add this new product via a rule that auto-adds to the bill whenver a corresponding Product is sold.

Then - when they return the bottle - you delete the charge off of the orders section on their profile.

Hi Ethros,

I just did a test and all conditions to create a product rule are about rates. Sadly no option to select product conditions. Unless you have something else in mind?

Aslo, important to mention that if you cancel the order there, the entire order is cancelled (so also the drinks and or food they consumed) and not only the “bottle tax”, unless you bill them separate (add drinks and press create then go to add item and add only the tax. Which I believe is a lot of extra work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

hi both! thanks for answering; 

In NL per 1st of April all restaurants and hotels etc are obligated by Dutch law to include this deposit (statiegeld) to the bill when applicable.. So our initial plan (that was to raise the price and say its included) was a no-go. 

Then we indeed suggested to post the deposit separate for each time a can or PET bottle sold, however when using Ethros his method (‘the selected by default") it only adds the deposit charge once.. and it is supposed to be added per can/bottle and not per order. 

basically i'd need a product rule that could be applied to a specific product.. 

https://feedback.mews.com/forums/918232-mews-operations-pms/suggestions/37113235-add-product-rule-to-product-category

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

hi both! thanks for answering; 

In NL per 1st of April all restaurants and hotels etc are obligated by Dutch law to include this deposit (statiegeld) to the bill when applicable.. So our initial plan (that was to raise the price and say its included) was a no-go. 

Then we indeed suggested to post the deposit separate for each time a can or PET bottle sold, however when using Ethros his method (‘the selected by default") it only adds the deposit charge once.. and it is supposed to be added per can/bottle and not per order. 

basically i'd need a product rule that could be applied to a specific product.. 

https://feedback.mews.com/forums/918232-mews-operations-pms/suggestions/37113235-add-product-rule-to-product-category

Hi Maurits,

Happy to help.

I believe the only option at this time is indeed adding it manually to the bill as an item.

However, there should indeed be product rules on product level and not only on room level. I’ve upvoted the change request but I’m not sure if this will be implemented shortly. It’s already existing since Feb 2019. So, 4 years without action from Mews.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Maurits,

I would create a “packaged” additional service for that, for example: a beer which of 4 euro which consists of €3,85 beer and €0,15 “statiegeld”. If you select this additional service in a bill, both products pop up so you can quickly select both. Easier than using them as separate services. Please note that you untick [bill as package] in the additional service, so that the beer and “statiegeld” are mentioned separately on the bill.

Hope this helps!

Have nice day 😃

Sanne

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Sanne

How do you make that work? Because there is no packaged options in mews (yet?). 

What we do now is have that product ‘statiegeld’ selected as default within the additional service ‘shop’. That way at least its added once when initiating an order. It needs however to be added per can/bottle. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Maurits! You don’t actually book a packaged product, but create an additional service consisting of several products so it is easier (quicker) to select while adding it to a bill. And you would be able to change the number of times you want to add the ‘statiegeld’. It is similar to what you do know, just a bit different. There is no ‘golden solution’ I believe. 

I just upvoted the idea on product rules on products on the feedback page, I saw you did as well. 

😃 Enjoy your day!

Regards, Sanne 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi all,

thank you for this great discussion! ⭐

I believe there is not much to add from our side and I agree there is not golden solution at the moment.

The feature request that Maurits shared would be the best solution, please make sure you vote for it.

I will internally also start a discussion about this as I see this as something that would be very useful.

Wishing you a great day! 😎

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks Marketa!