Question

Booking.com blocking emails - Before start Online check-in

Userlevel 1

Is anyone else facing problems with sending before start/before start reminders to booking.com guest?

We are pushing very hard to get our guest so check-in online, however I see that booking.com is not accually forwarding these emails to the guest. In MEWS it shows as sendt. 

I have tried to make a booking myself at booking.com and it is not working. 

I tried to remove the Sigin box, in the email templets, with just a link however it is still not working. Funny thing is that when I send the bill it has acually worked. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello @Vegard Kaspersen !

Yes it sucks! Last time I checked emails were forwarded to the guest’s actual email account with links working, but links in the booking.com app were not working / removed.

It’s a booking.com “security” policy, aka prohibit hotels from “stealing” guests away from booking.com, I guess…

MEWS’ solution is the SMS-Package to send SMS with prestay links to guests, as we do get the real phone number … but for us, results are not very good, only a fraction (10-20%) of guests actually use the online pre-checkin service. I am not entirely sure why, but I think there may be a couple of reasons for that:

• links in emails not working after forwarding from booking.com or expedia.com
  • MEWS guest portal asking for credit card details (I am not sure… sometimes guests are required to enter a credit card to complete online check-in, sometimes not - the process and setup is not really transparent to me)
  • wording of the mailing - maybe we can improve online checkins by using a more compelling wording? Any best practive recommendations / text samples anyone?

To any MEWSer who may feel concerned about it: it would be great if an effort to get in direct contact with booking.com and expedia.com to get the mails from @mews.li whitelisted and correctly forwarded could be made!

For us on the receiving end, we can only complain to our booking.com and expedia.com account manager and/or support to get them to feel some heat … :-(

Regards,

JP.

Userlevel 1

Hello @Vegard Kaspersen !

Yes it sucks! Last time I checked emails were forwarded to the guest’s actual email account with links working, but links in the booking.com app were not working / removed.

It’s a booking.com “security” policy, aka prohibit hotels from “stealing” guests away from booking.com, I guess…

MEWS’ solution is the SMS-Package to send SMS with prestay links to guests, as we do get the real phone number … but for us, results are not very good, only a fraction (10-20%) of guests actually use the online pre-checkin service. I am not entirely sure why, but I think there may be a couple of reasons for that:

• links in emails not working after forwarding from booking.com or expedia.com
  • MEWS guest portal asking for credit card details (I am not sure… sometimes guests are required to enter a credit card to complete online check-in, sometimes not - the process and setup is not really transparent to me)
  • wording of the mailing - maybe we can improve online checkins by using a more compelling wording? Any best practive recommendations / text samples anyone?

To any MEWSer who may feel concerned about it: it would be great if an effort to get in direct contact with booking.com and expedia.com to get the mails from @mews.li whitelisted and correctly forwarded could be made!

For us on the receiving end, we can only complain to our booking.com and expedia.com account manager and/or support to get them to feel some heat … :-(

Regards,

JP.

Thank you for the feedback!

I hope that MEWS and Booking.com/Expedia can find a solution for this.

We are already using the SMS package, but there is still a lot of information that guests miss out on without email communication. And I would love both to cosumize the text as well as at what time it is sent to the guest. 

Currently, our workaround is to ask guests from Booking.com/Expedia to send us their email address via the automatic messages in Booking.com. However, this approach seems somewhat unprofessional and involves a lot of manual effort.

We have the same problem. Since around three days, nothing works with e-mails sent to booking.com alias-adresses. Also specifying [email protected] in the booking messaging preferences as safe does not help. We are at the point, where nothing goes through any more. I can’t even send an e-mail saying only “hello” to an alias address. Mews sends it successfully but booking.com seems to block it. We need to send guests Door codes and Mews confirmation numbers in order to enable them to check-in but everything is being blocked by booking.com. Booking.com support is absolutely useless. I have just spent half a day explaining to support employees how their own system works with e-mails, alias-addresses and their messenger. The only thing they can tell, is that you should use the booking.com messenger. However to send the guests the mews confirmation number (qr-codes don’t work anymore anyways) the booking.com messenger is no help. We as hotels cannot get into contact with technical support, apparentely only mews can do this.

So @Mews Community Team could you escalate this to your technical or connectivity team to solve with booking.com? We are absolutely unable to have a professional communication with our guests at the moment and the guest experience is absolutely horrible for OTA guests.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Dear Colleagues, 
I think I have the solution to this, or at least how it works for us. 
Go to your Booking.com account, click on "Properties" at the top and go to "Messaging Preferences". 
Under security settings, go to "Your email addresses".
Enter all the email addresses of your own hotel that you send messages to, but also "[email protected]" and "[email protected]". Don't forget to enter all the emails that you send messages from, because from now on, only these addresses will be able to send messages to customers through Booking.com. Also, under "Your Approved Links," you can add links to driving directions or links to your own hotel, which I am sure will be included.

I hope this works for you. I have no problems with it anymore.

Robin Schluter 
Hotel St. Pol 

Userlevel 1

Dear Colleagues, 
Go to your Booking.com account, click on "Properties" at the top and go to "Messaging Preferences". 
Enter all the email addresses of your own hotel that you send messages to, but also "[email protected]" and "[email protected]". Don't forget to enter all the emails that you send messages from, because from now on, only these addresses will be able to send messages to customers through Booking.com. Also, under "Your Approved Links," you can add links to driving directions or links to your own hotel, which I am sure will be included.

Robin Schluter 
Hotel St. Pol 

Thanks for the info Robin. 

I have done this, however I am still not getting the online check-in part to work for some reasone. 

The bills are going out but not anything before start :S

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

To many placeholders  perhaps ????

https://help.mews.com/s/article/placeholders-bookable-services-mail-templates?language=en_US

Dear Colleagues, 

Robin Schluter 
Hotel St. Pol 

Hi Robin, thanks for the input.

Unfortunately that does not work for us either. I also put every e-mail that could possibly affect anything in the list and every possible link. But still, even a message that has only one word in it gets blocked.

Claudio Berger