Solved

Automatic settlement details

• 10 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am looking to understand in more detail the automatic settlement logic for reservations with unassociated payment cards. Basically, I want to take manual preauths for automatic preauths that have failed, either for those reservations with unassociated cards or for those whose associated card has failed. I am afraid that if I take a manual preauth and it passes, then if the customer subsequently  fills his online check in form, the auto preauth may be triggered, resulting in a double preauth. What logic does mews use when an auto preauth fails, I have done some tests where it doesn’t seem to reschedule the auto preauth even if the customer subsequently associates a payment card but I am not sure if that behaviour is 100% true in all cases...

icon

Best answer by Oli.Britt 27 December 2023, 13:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@yxudous Hello hello

Well everytime a preauthorization (or card charge in case of non refundable reservation) fails, you get an e-mail from Mews explaining what happened and suggesting what you should do (contact the guest for him to provide another valid credit card for example)

The rest of the procedure depends on your settlement rules for each rate categories. But if it is done correctly there shouldn’t be any problem as when a guest does his pre check-in he can either pay or not (not preauthorize (to my knowledge)).

Even if you did preauthorize manually the amount on the credit card and the guest pays while pr checking-in you can always cancel the preauthorization 😉

Hope this helps

Regards

S.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I'm Olga, a Payment Expert from Mews Support. I'd like to provide you with a more detailed explanation of how automatic settlement functions in Mews.

You're spot on in recognizing that we don't reschedule automatic settlements; they trigger only once based on the rules you've configured. Upon a failed attempt, we prompt an email for card updates. Even if a new card is added, we won't attempt another charge, unless multiple settlement rules are in play. In such cases, we “try again” only for future scheduled payments.

It's important to highlight that Mews behaves differently with Virtual cards. The system initially attempts to charge based on the specified rate group rules. If unsuccessful, additional attempts are made on the arrival day and the following day. These final rules are hardcoded due to the variable activation times of Virtual cards.

Furthermore, we've optimized Virtual Card Management in recent feature releases. VCCs are now automatically charged for 100% of the group total amount. Further details can be found here.

Feel free to reach out for any additional questions.

Best regards,

Olga