Solved

Automate Payment Request email

• 7 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi again users!

Is it possible to automate the creation of Payment Request email? We have bookings paid at hotel coming through an OTA without the CVV, so we want to trigger the payment link from MEWS Payment, instead of having to manually trigger it for each booking. 

thanks!

Michael

icon

Best answer by MatthiasH 7 November 2023, 09:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Michael,

If I’m understanding your question correctly, your speaking about 3DS compliance right?

Reservations coming via OTA’s aren’t subjected to 3DS as they’re considered MOTO payments. With the Mews Merchant, it should be enough to have the card number and exprity date. However, whenever a bank does require 3Ds authentification, Mews automatically sends a payment verification email to ask the guest to confirm the payment. If the OTA pays with a VCC no CVC code would be needed.

Hope this helps,

Matthias

Userlevel 2

Thanks @MatthiasH ,

I was just confused by the article, which doesn’t show anywhere that this process can be automated. I’ll need to do some tests to ensure the payment is indeed taken without CVC.

https://help.mews.com/s/article/send-a-payment-request-by-email?language=en_US

regards!

Michael

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

No problem @M_belanger.

I just did some tests myself and noticed that guests can enter the CVC-code via the OTA’s and that this is sent to mews in the token.
So, while it’s not visible on our end, I believe it is actually stored at Adyen or Stripe to process the payment.

Virtual cards are usually chargeable without CVC-code, so therefore no CVC is sent (accoring to the Channel Manager Logs).

Regards,

Matthias

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @MatthiasH,

Thanks to the PCI Proxy, we can tokenize the card to process the payment without collecting CVC. They actually prohibit to "collect" them, in order to comply with their requirements.

Hope this helps 😎 have a great evening!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi there!

Risking to be slightly off-topic in this thread...please appologize, I didn’t find a better fitting thread.

I am completely new to MEWS, and we are in the process of setting up everything.

I was wondering if there is a best practice recommendation regarding actually avoiding MOTO payments.

Although it’s a great workflow to just charge OTA reservations to the credit card submitted with the reservation, that will usually be a MOTO transaction. However, AFAIK, MOTO transactions are considerably more expensive than 3DS or chip/pin transactions (interchange fee is approx. +1 % higher for those high-risk non-secure payments), at least in europe for non-european cards.

So how do you go about this issue? Do you just accept the higher cost for the convenience? Is there an automated way to ask guests for 3DS-Verification during CheckIn? I know that there is a Online-CheckIn option that allows guests to add a new card, that will be 3DS verified, but what if the guests just accepts the card allready in there (very likely)? Is there a way to enforce 3DS/SCA during Online CheckIn for payment cards that have not yet been verified ?

What are your thoughts on that topic in general?

Thanks for your feedback …!

Best regards,

Jean-Philipp.