Solved

accounting report correction

• 5 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi there.

We recently noticed automatically added cancellation and no-show fees on several reservations which are not supposed to have any fees at all…

These fees and total amounts are being added to our revenue but this is wrongly added…

If I cancel the cancellation fees or other items, then it just shows up in the guests profile as "to be refunded" and still being added to "room revenue" 

Is there any way to completely delete these fees from the report hence they are amounts we're not getting... Hope it makes sense and someone has a solution 

icon

Best answer by alzbeta skrabalkova 23 January 2024, 15:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hello @Zoheb L 

I think you have to go in your visit options on your stay settings to untick “Enable automatic no-show cancellation” so those fee won’t be added automatically

Explanation following that URL: https://help.mews.com/s/article/how-do-no-shows-work?language=en_US#:~:text=When%20you%20select%20the%20Enable,Items%20tab%20of%20the%20reservation

As to “cancel” them, I think you have to create an additionnal product that you will be calling no/show or cancellation fee (within the same accounting category of course) that you will then be able to post directly on the billing tab by adding the product by its negative value so your balance is back to 0.

I mean if you have a 15€ cancellation fee, you add  minus 15€ of the product you just created (like I did as an example for an extra breakfast in the image here below) 

Hope this helps

Regards

Stephane

Hello @Zoheb L 

I think you have to go in your visit options on your stay settings to untick “Enable automatic no-show cancellation” so those fee won’t be added automatically

Explanation following that URL: https://help.mews.com/s/article/how-do-no-shows-work?language=en_US#:~:text=When%20you%20select%20the%20Enable,Items%20tab%20of%20the%20reservation

As to “cancel” them, I think you have to create an additionnal product that you will be calling no/show or cancellation fee (within the same accounting category of course) that you will then be able to post directly on the billing tab by adding the product by its negative value so your balance is back to 0.

I mean if you have a 15€ cancellation fee, you add  minus 15€ of the product you just created (like I did as an example for an extra breakfast in the image here below) 

Hope this helps

Regards

Stephane

Thank you for your reply. I will surely try to see if this can help us out especially with the accounting. 

Btw, I've already tried to do it the way you're telling me which deducts the amount from the report from the accounting category called "cancellation revenue", but then it adds the same amount to the accounting category called "room revenue" instead...so I guess I just need to correct the accounting categories so it doesn't adds but only deducts

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Zoheb L

automatically added cancelation and no-show fees depend on your cancelation policy setup within your rate groups. 
If you - for example, have a cancelation policy set up as start - 2 days, and the reservation will get canceled less than 2 days prior to arrival, a cancelation fee will be posted (as that is how you set it up.) 

The cancelation fee serves the purpose of claiming the revenue for payments that you already collected and per your policy - you’re not refunding. That is also the reason why it’s still showing as a room revenue. 

In case you cancel the reservation, but the bill was closed, the night will be rebated and need to be replaced by a different source of revenue (= cancelation fee). If you cancel the fee, then indeed the total of the bill will be negative and the system expects the bill to be refunded (as these are the two options you have when canceling a paid reservation - refund the money to the guest, or keep the money and claim it as cancelation fee - revenue coming from late cancelation). 

You can see more details about setting up the cancelation policy correctly here :) 

Hope it helps :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Also, the automatic no-show cancelation does not really play a big role here, as the reservation will be canceled eventually anyways, and the fee would be posted regardless. 

Additionally, the correct cancelation policy setup and understanding the process should be enough. By adding extra products you may mess up your accounting reports even further, so I would not recommend that approach :)