Solved

VAT: deductable and non-deductable

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Community! 

In Mews, it is not possible to distinguish between deductable and non-deductable VAT on bills/invoices. We are a Dutch company. Our previous PMS provided 5 VAT categories: 0%, 9% deductable, 9% non-deductable, 21% deductable, and 21% non-deductable. This distinction was clearly visible on our invoices for our guests. I am looking for best practices; how do you provide this distinction to guests/customers upon request? Any tips or tools?

Looking forward to receiving your best practices! 😁

Regards, Sanne

icon

Best answer by mauritsbots 10 May 2024, 11:03

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @Sanne!

thank you for this question, tagging some people from the region, hope they can help! 

@mauritsbots @DanS. @Roy @Femke @Kayleigh @Dirkjan @Jones @Kirsten 

Thank you! 🌺

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

hi Sanne, we never had this question from a guest, nor the request internally as far as i know. in NL there is no such thing as deductable VAT for Horeca spending as well as far as I know. Unless you are the organizer, but then its a business transaction and not a horeca spend. 

As far as a best practive could go, you could have a seperate product created, and split these from the others whilst invoicing. That is perhaps the only method; as the VAT calculation on the invoice does not take any specific products into account. (Eg you would have one invoice with all your ‘deductables’ and the other with the remaining products). 

Userlevel 3

Hey @Sanne ,

In our stay setting we have the has expanded bill items ticked & dont allow tax overwrites.

And as what @mauritsbots mentions each product has its own VAT % setup. When i look at my bill previews it show each items on its own line with the breakdown & percentages. 

Happy to show you if this helps in your quest! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Femke, do you have more than 3 VAT categories defined?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Sanne,
We also had this request in one of our hotels once, maily because they were used to have it on the invoice from our legacy system. We decided not to make changes to expand bill items settings in Mews but that would indeed be the way forward.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @mauritsbots, @Roy and @Femke thanks to you all!  I would need to have 5 VAT-percentages to make sure the breakdown shows correctly and to make sure I don't have 2 separate invoices. We have a few big clients who request this information since we had it in all of our former PMS’s. I’ll get in touch with them to see what a suitable solution would be.  

Thanks for letting me pick your brains and enjoy the sunshine! 🌞

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Jason.Warnaar are you aware of any workarounds hotels use to offer this to their clients maybe? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Sanne! I remember years ago a property brought this up. My memory is foggy on this one but I think the resolution of this was to no longer offer the VAT deductible distinction to guests. As it’s not a legal requirement to show this, I also wouldn’t forsee Mews adding this capability either. Sorry I couldn’t be more help on this one 😅