Skip to main content

Increase revenue with upgrades in Online Check-in

Are you looking for ways to increase revenue? Do you find yourself with available capacity for higher priced rooms?

We’re excited to share this opportunity to join the Beta for our new upgrade capability in Online Check-in. Guests can now be offered available higher priced spaces when completing their online check-in to help boost your revenues and make their stay a little more special.

How does it work?
During Online Check In, Mews will check if there are any spaces in a higher category available. If so, the guest will be offered the upgrade and will be charged the new category price minus the price already booked.

• Mews will only offer an upgrade to single reservations - groups are not supported.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if there is a restriction in place or there is no availability.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if the higher category is cheaper than the price already paid.

You'll be able to set individual space categories where you would not like a guest to upgrade to. E.g. to avoid upgrades to accessible rooms. This can be found under “Options” in the “Space category” settings. Upgrades made by guests will be shown in the ‘Action log’ of the reservation.

oEDIT] There is also a new setting “Enable space upgrades in online check-in” under the “Visit options” in your bookable service. This is selected by default when we enable the capability, but can be disabled if required.

What do guests see?

Upgrades during online check-in

How can I get started?

1. Reply to this thread with the property you’d like added to this beta
  2. I’ll enable the new settings so you can remove any space categories you don’t want offered as upgrades
  3. After 24 hours, I’ll enable upgrades to start appearing in the Online check-in for your guests (or after a longer time if requested)

Please ask any questions or share any feedback you have below.

Hi @Corine Stramrood, thank you for sharing the feedback and I’m glad to hear that the upgrades are no appearing.

There are a few parameters checked before a space category is offered as an upgrade, which are mentioned in the original post of this group.

The way it’s implemented is that we only show the next two available spaces as upgrade options to the guest. This is based on the idea that they are most likely to choose one of these options and also to not overwhelm the guest with lots of possible upgrades.

In your scenario, if there are suites available, then these would be offered if the guest was already booked on one of the space categories one or two levels below the suites.

I’m keen to hear your feedback on this approach and am happy to set up a call to discuss further if you’d like.

Thank you,

James

Hi James, thank you for your reply. please schedule a call.

The visit option is correcty installed, and the options in the space category are enabled.
Am I missing something?
Today I tested again and booked an elegance room and the upgrade to the Ibiza Suite wasn't offered which is still available for tonight. Maybe it has something to do with the room ordering ?

Thank you,

Corine

Hello, we would like to have the Beta! 

Hi @James.taylor,
Understood from another post that we can still sign up for this beta? Couple of questions though:

• How is the upgrade difference posted? Can the costs be added as a separate product or do you just increase the room rate?
  • You mentioned that Mews will not offer an upgrade if the higher category is cheaper than the price already paid however how are you determining the upgrade? Based on supplement difference between two room categories or on the prices paid? 

Thanks,

Roy

CC: @Nathalie Nieuwenhuis 

Hi James,

can you activate it for Hotel Andante Rust?

Thanks!

Hi @Heidi, thank you for joining this group!

I’d be happy to enable it for your property. Please con you confirm your property name and whether you’d like enabled for online check in and / or Kiosk check in?

Thank you,

James

Hi @andante, thank you for joining!

It looks the setup had been started so I have now enabled upgrades in online check in for your property. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thank you,

James

Hi @James.taylor,
Understood from another post that we can still sign up for this beta? Couple of questions though:

• How is the upgrade difference posted? Can the costs be added as a separate product or do you just increase the room rate?
  • You mentioned that Mews will not offer an upgrade if the higher category is cheaper than the price already paid however how are you determining the upgrade? Based on supplement difference between two room categories or on the prices paid? 

Thanks,

Roy

CC: @Nathalie Nieuwenhuis 

Hi @Roy, yes, you can definitely still sign-up if you’d like to.

As for your questions:

• Currently an upgrade will increase the room rate. We’re working to separate this out as a separate item, but there is more development still required before we can enable this.
  • The upgrade is determined by the room ordering defined in Mews. I shared some details and a link to the related help guide in this post. The price difference is then checked as the goal is to help you increase revenues with upgrades.

I hope this helps, but I’m happy to answer any other questions you might have. 

Hi @James.taylor,

Thanks,

Roy

CC: @Nathalie Nieuwenhuis 

Hi @Roy, yes, you can definitely still sign-up if you’d like to.

As for your questions:

• Currently an upgrade will increase the room rate. We’re working to separate this out as a separate item, but there is more development still required before we can enable this.
  • The upgrade is determined by the room ordering defined in Mews. I shared some details and a link to the related help guide in this post. The price difference is then checked as the goal is to help you increase revenues with upgrades.

I hope this helps, but I’m happy to answer any other questions you might have. 

Thanks @James.taylor. We are looking for live upgrade supplements (looking at the current room category difference) rather than comparing supplements with the originally booked price. You would otherwise potentially offer really high prices which we do not want to present to guests. Do you have an estimate if and when this will be on the roadmap?

@James.taylor we want to join this beta with Meiser Vital Hotel.

Question: can it be set, for example, that only guests in a certain segment are offered an upgrade?

Hello James

Thank you for replying. We would like to have this on both - online check in and kiosk please. Can we start testing at Pier 5 Hotel and Peak 12 Hotel? If this goes smooth - we will add all our 9 hotels. Thank you and i am looking forward to hear from you! 

Thanks @James.taylor. We are looking for live upgrade supplements (looking at the current room category difference) rather than comparing supplements with the originally booked price. You would otherwise potentially offer really high prices which we do not want to present to guests. Do you have an estimate if and when this will be on the roadmap?

Hi @Roy, I apologise for the very late response to this message.

I’m afraid I don’t have a firm timeline I can give for when this change will be available at the moment. I will make a note to follow-up with you once this is possible, so we can pick this up again.

Question: can it be set, for example, that only guests in a certain segment are offered an upgrade?

Hi @Andreas Behl, that’s great to hear, thank you for joining this group!

I’m afraid it can’t currently be set up only for a certain segment of guests or rates. Currently, it will offer upgrade options, if available, to any reservation in the bookable service it is configured for. 

I’m keen to understand more, if you can please share further details? What segment of guests wouldn’t you want to offer upgrades for and how these are categorised in the Mews? i.e. by rate, guest classification, or another alternative.

Thank you,

James

Hello James

Thank you for replying. We would like to have this on both - online check in and kiosk please. Can we start testing at Pier 5 Hotel and Peak 12 Hotel? If this goes smooth - we will add all our 9 hotels. Thank you and i am looking forward to hear from you! 

Hi @Heidi, that’s great, I can enable this for both those properties.

As my reply was delayed, I’ll aim to activate this for your two properties on Thursday 27th June in the morning. Please let me know if there are any concerns or you have any other questions.

Thank you,

James

Hi @Andreas Behl, that’s great to hear, thank you for joining this group!

I’m afraid it can’t currently be set up only for a certain segment of guests or rates. Currently, it will offer upgrade options, if available, to any reservation in the bookable service it is configured for. 

I’m keen to understand more, if you can please share further details? What segment of guests wouldn’t you want to offer upgrades for and how these are categorised in the Mews? i.e. by rate, guest classification, or another alternative.

Thank you,

James

Hi James,

Thank you for your feedback. We have different houses with different orientations. In the wellness and leisure sector, offers for upgrades make perfect sense. 

Not necessarily in the meetings and events area. The accounting is different here. Guests are invited/the company covers the costs, so upgrade offers would have to be on your own account. This function would be rather disruptive, as the chances of success are very low.

Meiser Vital is a wellness hotel. Please activate it here and we will test it out a little.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Andreas

Thank you for your feedback. We have different houses with different orientations. In the wellness and leisure sector, offers for upgrades make perfect sense. 

Not necessarily in the meetings and events area. The accounting is different here. Guests are invited/the company covers the costs, so upgrade offers would have to be on your own account. This function would be rather disruptive, as the chances of success are very low.

Meiser Vital is a wellness hotel. Please activate it here and we will test it out a little.

Hi @Andreas Behl,

Thank you for adding some additional context, this is something I’ll bring into our future planning where you may not want to offer upgrades for business travellers versus leisure.

I will plan to enable on Thursday morning for Meiser Vital as you have requested.

Thank you,

James

Hi @Andreas Behl,

Thank you for adding some additional context, this is something I’ll bring into our future planning where you may not want to offer upgrades for business travellers versus leisure.

I will plan to enable on Thursday morning for Meiser Vital as you have requested.

Thank you,

James

Hi James,

Thank you very much!

And in addition to your question. We would want to differentiate this option based on the segments. These can be created flexibly and each house can choose the best segmentation for itself.

Kind regards
Andreas

Are you looking for ways to increase revenue? Do you find yourself with available capacity for higher priced rooms?

We’re excited to share this opportunity to join the Beta for our new upgrade capability in Online Check-in. Guests can now be offered available higher priced spaces when completing their online check-in to help boost your revenues and make their stay a little more special.

How does it work?
During Online Check In, Mews will check if there are any spaces in a higher category available. If so, the guest will be offered the upgrade and will be charged the new category price minus the price already booked.

• Mews will only offer an upgrade to single reservations - groups are not supported.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if there is a restriction in place or there is no availability.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if the higher category is cheaper than the price already paid.

You'll be able to set individual space categories where you would not like a guest to upgrade to. E.g. to avoid upgrades to accessible rooms. This can be found under “Options” in the “Space category” settings. Upgrades made by guests will be shown in the ‘Action log’ of the reservation.

.EDIT] There is also a new setting “Enable space upgrades in online check-in” under the “Visit options” in your bookable service. This is selected by default when we enable the capability, but can be disabled if required.

What do guests see?

Upgrades during online check-in

How can I get started?

1. Reply to this thread with the property you’d like added to this beta
  2. I’ll enable the new settings so you can remove any space categories you don’t want offered as upgrades
  3. After 24 hours, I’ll enable upgrades to start appearing in the Online check-in for your guests (or after a longer time if requested)

Please ask any questions or share any feedback you have below.

Great feature !
Please count Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport in !

Great feature !
Please count Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport in !

Great feature !
Please count Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport in !

Hi @Mayara Mello, thank you for joining the group and wanting to try out this capability!

I can plan to enable this for you tomorrow morning as well if that’s OK?

James

Hello @Heidi, @Andreas Behl and @Mayara Mello,

I have now enabled the upgrades experience for all your properties. Please let me know if you have any issues, questions or feedback and I’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,

James

Hello @James.taylor - i have a question or two. How can i run a report to see how many kiosk upgrades / online upgrades there has been made? And how does the upgrade look like in online check in? Thank you! Can you also activate these to on Hotel Scheelsminde? Thank you! 

Hello James, can you also add Hotel Nørre Vosborg? 

This picture is from Peak 12 Hotel. Could you design the look at kiosk so we could have the 2 categories on the same page? The text is the same as online booking - could this be done shorter to upgrade? Nobody has time to read this - why they should choose this upgrade.

And the picture in this upgrade is the last one in online booking. Please take the first picture. Thank you James! 

Hey!

Thats a great feature!

Could you please activate it for Landhotel 3Kronen?

Thank you so much,

Felix

Hi @Heidi, thank you for the comments and feedback. I’ve added some replies below, but please let me know if you’d like to discuss anything further.

How can i run a report to see how many kiosk upgrades / online upgrades there has been made?

I’m afraid we don’t have a report embedded in Mews for this yet. The best way to identify an upgraded reservation is from within the action log of the reservation, but I appreciate this is not easy to get an overall picture.

And how does the upgrade look like in online check in? Thank you!

You can see how upgrades look in online check in in the original post of this thread.  

Can you also activate these to on Hotel Scheelsminde? Thank you! 

Hello James, can you also add Hotel Nørre Vosborg? 

I can add both of these properties. I’ll plan to enable this on Monday 15th July in the morning and will confirm here once they’re live. 

This picture is from Peak 12 Hotel. Could you design the look at kiosk so we could have the 2 categories on the same page? The text is the same as online booking - could this be done shorter to upgrade? Nobody has time to read this - why they should choose this upgrade.

And the picture in this upgrade is the last one in online booking. Please take the first picture. Thank you James! 

Thank you for this feedback regarding the Kiosk experience. I’ll share this with the team and look at whether we can make some adjustments to the experience.