Skip to main content

Increase revenue with upgrades in Online Check-in

Are you looking for ways to increase revenue? Do you find yourself with available capacity for higher priced rooms?

We’re excited to share this opportunity to join the Beta for our new upgrade capability in Online Check-in. Guests can now be offered available higher priced spaces when completing their online check-in to help boost your revenues and make their stay a little more special.

How does it work?
During Online Check In, Mews will check if there are any spaces in a higher category available. If so, the guest will be offered the upgrade and will be charged the new category price minus the price already booked.

• Mews will only offer an upgrade to single reservations - groups are not supported.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if there is a restriction in place or there is no availability.
  • Mews will not offer an upgrade if the higher category is cheaper than the price already paid.

You'll be able to set individual space categories where you would not like a guest to upgrade to. E.g. to avoid upgrades to accessible rooms. This can be found under “Options” in the “Space category” settings. Upgrades made by guests will be shown in the ‘Action log’ of the reservation.

oEDIT] There is also a new setting “Enable space upgrades in online check-in” under the “Visit options” in your bookable service. This is selected by default when we enable the capability, but can be disabled if required.

What do guests see?

Upgrades during online check-in

How can I get started?

1. Reply to this thread with the property you’d like added to this beta
  2. I’ll enable the new settings so you can remove any space categories you don’t want offered as upgrades
  3. After 24 hours, I’ll enable upgrades to start appearing in the Online check-in for your guests (or after a longer time if requested)

Please ask any questions or share any feedback you have below.

Hi,

Are there plans to make this functionality somehow available through the API so properties that use third party guest communication / upsell platforms like Akia for check-in can offer upgrades?

Hi @Hel.L,

Right now we’re focused on enabling this space upgrade capability through the Mews guest experience; Online and Kiosk check in.

Also, 3rd parties in our marketplace can already offer upsell capabilities by connecting through the Mews API. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you, James

Hi @SussanneL and @amberdingemanse,

I wanted to confirm if you’re ready for us to enable the space upgrades experience for your guests?

Currently, I have only enabled the settings and await your confirmation to switch it on for guests.

Thank you,

James

Hi Mews team!

We at room2 hometels would love to beta test this product feature. Please let us know how we can get involved. 

Hi @Aliciavanwyk, thank you for wanting to join the beta of space upgrades.

Please can you confirm which property you would like to enable this for and I can start the process.

Thank you,

James

Hi @James.taylor, amazing, can we please enable this feature for room2 Chiswick? Let’s move this conversation over to emails for ease. Can we set up a demo call with my team to get them up to speed with this feature? Thanks

We’re really enjoying the upsell feature during online check in. One request - can we have an upsell automatically trigger a note to be added onto the reservation? It would be really helpful for our teams to know that the guest upgraded (and that is why they now owe a balance at check in). Currently, our teams have to go into the action log to confirm the reason for the charge at check in 

Hi @Aliciavanwyk,

I have enabled the upgrade settings for Room2 Chiswick, nothing will be shown to guests for the time being. 

I’ve reached out to your customer success contact to help set up a demo of the capability.

I look forward to discussing it further with you soon!

We’re really enjoying the upsell feature during online check in. One request - can we have an upsell automatically trigger a note to be added onto the reservation? It would be really helpful for our teams to know that the guest upgraded (and that is why they now owe a balance at check in). Currently, our teams have to go into the action log to confirm the reason for the charge at check in 

Hi @alessandrobottero, I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the feature and thank you for sharing this feedback!

I know this beta has been running for a little while, we are working on some changes to help teams better identify which reservations have been upgraded and show the impact this is having in reports.

I hope to share more details soon and thank you for being part of the beta group to work with this new functionality 🙂

Hi @James.taylor,

This looks great!
We’d be very excited to join this Beta with both of our properties, if that’s still possible.

Our properties are:
Oftang GmbH | Zillertaler Unterkünfte
And
Alpenhotel Tirolerhof Gerlos

@heightshouse FYI, for all the background on the space upgrades during online check in pilot.

Hi @James.taylor,

This looks great!
We’d be very excited to join this Beta with both of our properties, if that’s still possible.

Our properties are:
Oftang GmbH | Zillertaler Unterkünfte
And
Alpenhotel Tirolerhof Gerlos

Hi @andreas, thank you for joining this group!

Do you want to try out this capability at both properties? If yes, then I will enable the settings before confirming when to enable the experience for guests.

Thank you,

James

@James.taylor yes we’d like to try it out first please!

Great Feature! We would like to add The Grand Ahrenshoop and Strandhaus Ahrenshoop. 

If this is still possible. 

Great Feature! We would like to add The Grand Ahrenshoop and Strandhaus Ahrenshoop. 

@Stefan, it’s definitely still possible!

I enabled the settings for those two properties. Please opt out any spaces you don’t want offered as upgrades and then confirm here when ready. I’ll then enable the experience for your guests.

Thank you,

James

@Stefan, it’s definitely still possible!

I enabled the settings for those two properties. Please opt out any spaces you don’t want offered as upgrades and then confirm here when ready. I’ll then enable the experience for your guests.

Thank you,

James

Thank you! 

We want to offer every category for upgrade. So we are ready! 🙂

Hello @James.taylor !

This is a wonderful idea, the Plaza Hotel Capitole Toulouse DGHT would love to experiment this new feature.

Best regards !

Hi James,

you may validate the experience for guests at 1K Paris. i didnt know i had to reply to activate, as it was already available on the backoffice, please email me once all set, i dont follow the thread of the chat here

Hello James,

Would you activate it for Amistat Hostels? Both properties, Amistat Island Ibiza and Amistat City Barcelona. Thank you

I would absolutely love to participate on this Beta program. Could you add me? The Maker Hotel in Hudson, NY.

Thank you! 

Hello James, 

If it is still possible, we would also like to join the Beta of this feature.

Hôtel La Créole Beach

Hi James, 

I’d like to be included this for our properties:

• The Lincoln Suites
  • HQ ApartHotel Farnborough
  • 55 by Le Mirage

what would the next steps be?

Hi @Stefan and @amunoz, thank you for your patience.

As requested, I’ve now enabled the experience for your guests during online check in at your properties.

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thank you,

James

Hi @Horacio Amistat City, @FrancescoTheMaker, @sdorville and @rhys.brown.cycas,

Thank you all for your patience and wanting to join this beta. I have now enabled the settings for the space upgrades feature so you can remove any space categories you don’t want promoted.

I will plan to enable the experience for your guests in online check in on Wednesday 27th March.

Please share any questions or feedback you have in the mean time.

Thank you,

James

Hello @James.taylor !

This is a wonderful idea, the Plaza Hotel Capitole Toulouse DGHT would love to experiment this new feature.

Best regards !

Hi @Cory, thank you for wanting to join this beta!

I am following up internally as I had an issue enabling this for your property. I will follow-up with more details once I have them.

Thank you,

James

Hi @Horacio Amistat City@FrancescoTheMaker@sdorville and @rhys.brown.cycas,

Thank you all for your patience and wanting to join this beta. I have now enabled the settings for the space upgrades feature so you can remove any space categories you don’t want promoted.

I will plan to enable the experience for your guests in online check in on Wednesday 27th March.

Please share any questions or feedback you have in the mean time.

Thank you,

James

Thank you James! 

If I understood correctly, the Upgrade proposal arrives to the customer together with the Before Check in - for the online check in? I don't quite understand 🙂 Is there a way to make it a separate email sent from Mews? We will do some tests from Wednesday and I will give you more feedback.

Thanks

Hi @Cory, I’ve now enabled the upgrade settings for your property as well.

I will plan to enable the experience for your guests in online check in tomorrow.

Thank you,

James

Thank you James! 

If I understood correctly, the Upgrade proposal arrives to the customer together with the Before Check in - for the online check in? I don't quite understand 🙂 Is there a way to make it a separate email sent from Mews? We will do some tests from Wednesday and I will give you more feedback.

Thanks

Hi @Horacio Amistat City, the upgrade options are shown during the online check in. 

Online check in can be accessed by from the link in the confirmation or before start emails. It’s during this process the guest is offered an upgrade, if available. It is offered after the form to complete their details and before any additional products are promoted.